Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Essex Jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Apr 15, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well after the lake placid blue on got damaged in shippign and Rondo ran out, I finally get my new bass, unscathed and its red. I think I actually like the red better actually. :) If you all have been skeptical about the rave reviews SX has been getting, then doubt no more! for $120 I am blown away. I would have payed twice that if I tried it out in the store. After about a half hour of tweaking the action and intonation, it was ready to go. The action doesn't go really low, but I ahve it set at about twice the thickness of a credit card at the 12th fret and there is no buzz anywhere even if you dig in. The cosmetics are great- its a gorgeous bass. The pickups sound pretty good and the ouput volume is as strong as my spector with EMG's. The sound has lots of bite and is full and punchy. only thing I think I'm gonan replace is the bridge, but not right now. I can't really find any signifcant issues with the fretwork either- plays nice and smooth. All in all, sweeeet bass, and a good experience for my first 4 stringer. Only let-down is none of the fender aftermarket parts (knobs, pickguard, etc) fit on it that i had bought to try on it :( Before you all hang me for not posting pics let me say I will have pics in a bout a week- my digtal cam died so I have to get the film developed and make a scan. :)

(edited for spelling :D)

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Wow.. did you cream in your pants when you were typing that?

i mean..

wOw.>! ddi yuo creem ni yuor pantz wehn yuo wrer typnig taht?

hehe jk Congrats! those basses are fantastic for the price!

Have fun

D:bassist: :bassist:

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    LoL..I am notorious for re-arranged word typos..thanx..

4. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I'm just curious here, but what about the pickgaurd didn't fit? Where screw holes improperly aligned, was the hole for the pickup the wrong size/position, or was the whole pickgaurd the wrong size?

Thanks,
    GS

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    All the holes are about 1/2 centimeter out of alignment, the hole for the pickup is about a millimeter too small (coudl have just shaved it to fit), and the neck heel cut is countoured slightly different. I don't think it would look decent at all if you hacked a pickguard to fit it, if that's what your thinkin. ;)

6. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I have one of the SJB-75 B-stocks in transit right now and I believe the pickgaurd on it is plain white, which I'm not to fond of. I was hoping to replace it with a stadard Jazz guard from Warmoth, but it looks like that plan is shot down now. Thanks for the info.

GS

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Too bad, I had the same hopes- mine came with a mint guard which is ok, but really my cup of tea- i really like black pickguards. Let us knwo what you think of the B stock... It not often you get to compare two identical basses only made from two paterials. I bet that ash will be great for slapping. :)

8. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I'll let you know what I think, but I'm not much of a slapper though, in fact I'm in the process of switching from pick to finger style after playing with a pick for over 10 years.

I also can't say that the two will be identical, the first thing I did after I got the SJB-62 was slap a bad ass II on it, which IMO made a significant improvement to the sound of the bass.

GS

9. Yeah, my white pearloid pickguard that was on my SJB-62 Fretless was pretty gaudy, so I took it off...now I have some exposed routing, but it's all good. The photo-flame does extend under the pickguard! I kinda like it better now though, it has the upgraded, fancy, Jaco-esque look to it now. :bassist: :cool:

10. That sounds really low to me!!! Lower than I can get out of my peavey. I think I need to setup it up better....

11. must be a thick credit card!! :p

id really liek to try an SX bass, too bad Ive septn ym cash, and im not sure if they ship to the UK.. :(

12. The thickness of a credit card? That's damn low, man! I can fit a 2.0mm pick under the 12th fret of my P-Bass.

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok, the neck settled a little more after adjustments and sliding 3 credit cards under the strings at the 12th fret pushed the string up a little..so about 2 1/2 credit card thickness height, lol. I didn't really think that was low, but maybe because I have my Spector set to one credit card thickness height, lol. I don't dig in and play with a light touch so i can get it really low without buzz on a good bass. :)

14. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    cool measurement system... :rolleyes: :D

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    HAHA! Isn't it? I don't have any really good measuring devices around here..my rulers are pretty crummy. :D