New Essex or upgrade the Rogue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wannabee, Jul 23, 2002.

1. wannabee

May 19, 2002
    At the risk of irritating someone, I will admit, I once
    purchased a rogue. I have since learned my lesson and now own a decent 5 and 6. My 4(the rogue) is
    somewhat weak, to put it mildly, but I wish to keep
    a 4 in my rather modest arsenal. Do i go for the Essex or will some pups, and a bridge do the trick for the R-o-g-u-e?
    Help me ....Please....
  2. Go with the Essex. From what I've heard, Rogue 4 bangers are poorly crafted out of poor quality materials. Now I could be wrong, never actually owning one. I've played a couple, and I think my Essex is 10 times better.
  3. why in the WORLD would you ever waste your money upgrading a ROGUE??:confused:

4. just 10?;)
  5. Well, I didn't want to make him feel too bad about getting a Rogue. :p
  6. I wouldn't upgrade a Rogue, but if you did and it turned out good, I think it might take some of the fun out of making fun of Rogue.
  7. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Everyone hates Rogue. I don't.

I had one and it played just fine. The neck was a little wide for my taste but it served me well. When you have just started a Rogue works. After a couple years I sold it to another beginner who liked it as well.

I have ordered an Essex J bass and can't wait to play it.

Why not keep the Rogue as a project bass? Change the pickups, bridge, electronics, make it a fretless......have fun.:D
  8. i recently just got an Essex BG-105 Jazz bass

and wow, this thing kicks ass

well worth the 160 or so dollars it is

great great bass, i love it... though, kind of heavy
  9. wannabee

May 19, 2002
    Thanks to you who replied. As I thought, most dont like the rogue, but it was my first and I bought it before I heard about TB. Anyway I am ordering the
    Essex J. Looking foward to playing something that is 10x(or more)better than the rogue. In the future,
    I will still upgrade the rogue and then, hopefully, share it greatness with my TB Family.
  10. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Well, I finally got my Essex Jazz bass.

It's a great instrument. Very nice finish (red metalflake). The setup was decent. Everything works great and is tight. I was suprised at the quality of work, especially considering the price. It sounds really good too. I've played some Fender Jazz basses at Guitar Center and I can't really tell the difference. They feel the same to me.

They packed it really well in two boxes and it came undamaged.

I played for about 3 hours tonight and my fingers hurt. Nothing like getting a new bass!!!

A few things I didn't like. The strings that came on mine were dirty and seemed like they had some mileage on them. That was strange because the bass body looked untouched. It was also a little dusty. I immediately pulled them off and put on some new, fresh Dean Markley's and the tone got much better right away. After playing much smaller basses, this thing is pretty heavy. It didn't take long to get used to it though.

I would buy another one for sure. Especially if you are a beginner, this deal can't be beat. It's much, much better than my first bass and it cost less.