Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Essex

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jun 25, 2002.

1. i got my new essex today!!!

construction 9
    finish 8 ( has a dent on the back)
    pickups 5 (*pole pieces misaligned)

I'm already planning majore upgrades.
    New nut
    new strings
    new bridge
    and new pickups

2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    ...and the pictures would be...where exactly??:)

Congrats man.

Alex

3. Sweet, I'm getting my 62 jazz next month.

I already have plans to pop in EMG select pickups. I'm either getting a BA2 or Schaller or Gotoh bridge. If I can get a good deal on a J- Retro, it'll go in, and a brass nut to top it all off.

They come stock with D'addario strings, so i might keep those on for a while.

Pics can be found at RondoMusic.com

4. actually they dont come with d'addario... the strings that came on my bass were crap tastick.... im getting flats later today.... and moving the pickups into their spot where they should be at

5. Really? On their website it says the 62 RI comes with D'addario. Did you get the 62 Jazz?

Other basses might not have the D'ads. I'll probably end up changing them anyway. They might be new strings, but they've probably been installed on the bass and sitting on a shelf for who knows how long.

From the reviews I've read, the Essex basses seem to be well worth the money.

My plan:
    Essex Jazz: 119.95
    HSC: 49.95
    J-retro Preamp: ~200
    EMG Select pick ups: ~50
    BA Schaller or gotoh bridge: ~50
    total cost: somewhere in the neighborhood of $470.

Not too shabby if I may say so, compared to a MIM Fender Jazz, stock runs nearly $400.

6. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't get it... their '62 Jazz says it has a 21 fret neck, but the picture shows 20! The vintage natural Jazz says it has a 20 fret neck, but the picture shows 21!

Does anyone know if the *picture* or the *description* is correct?

7. all this talk of j-basses and upgrading them has got me in the mood :D
    anyone know of a cheap 5 string j-style bass available in te UK, that is so close to the j that all upgrades fit well (i'v heard stories that some have different pickup sizes and screw placements etc.
    i'd opt for an essex, but they don't deliver to england, and they don't do a 5'er jazz.
    cheers

*Si*

8. the 62 jazz is a 20 fret neck... not 21.

9. the pictures would be correct

10. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Actually those EMG's selescts are about 25 bucks at STEMAC.com and those arent very good, those are the cheapest EMG you can buy, just a warning, i made that same mistake

11. The precision pups are $25, the jazz set is $45.98, item number 1146. EMG selects are good pick ups, I have them already. Thanks for your opinion on the pick ups, but IMO, they are the best available pickups for the price.

12. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Who sells Essex?

13. www.rondomusic.com sells them. Kurt is a great guy, and the few times I've talked with him via e-mail, he seems more than willing to help you out.

He also sells his essex basses on ebay, and you can usually get them for a few bucks cheaper. There was one that just ended (I would have gotten it but my check hadn't gotten here yet) with an opning bid of $105, and a BIN price of $119, what he sells them for at his site.