New factory in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxoges, Apr 25, 2003.

1. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Peavey, Washburn and Burnout has come out with new necktrough models recently. All of them are made in Vietnam. The Washburn and Burnout ones have active electronics. The Peavey have passive. Have you tried them? What do you think of em? They must come from the same factory right???

2. Ashton guitars and basses also come from Vietnam.
  3. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've been tweaking the post 8D Pictures are new to me at this forum.

I'm not saying the basses are bad. Suddenly vietnamise basses are turning up everywhere 8P
  4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I'm a Peavey dealer and have had 5 Grind Nt's and can say without a doubt they are terrible. None of the 5 could be setup properly and I had to send 3 of them back because they weren't playable, the neck was too straight and the rod did nothing.
  5. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I tried the Burnout bass. I liked the action on it, but I cut myself on the fretwire sticking out the sides of the neck.
  6. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Dillion has some new ones from VietNam and I'm even thinking about getting one. They have a cool "Gibson EB-3" style ones with Isis inlays in the fretboard for pretty cheap. Too bad I can't try one somewhere.
  7. I just hope that noone buys that particular Washburn model. If you like that body shape, get a Jerzy Drozd!
  8. I own the Peavey grind NTB 4 string. It is a solid bass with good feel, but I have already had to replace one of them under warantee due to body cracking. Also, the construction on it feels very rushed, there are alot of stray sand paper marks and a not so even coat of oil, als, all of the hardware is very,very cheap looking and feeling. Regardless, I like the sound of the bass with the wood combo of Imbuya, mahogany and maple with a rosewood board.

This bass can be a real tone monster if I gutted the electronics and went to an active circuit and add a good bridge but the pickups on the four string are ridiculusly wide. I have yet to find a four string pickup 4 1/2" wide.
  9. I am also having this problem with my bass, I can't get the action low enough and when i get it to almost the right hight, the straigtness of the neck makes the upper register frets buzz like mad. Maybe a fret dressing would fix it, there are a couple of frets not completely pressed in. I'm wondering if i should send this bass back for the second time and just get a refund. Way too many problems for a bass i've owned for 3 1/2 months.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I like your candor, Peter! Too bad those basses LOOK so nice (at least in the pics).

brad cook
  11. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Call Steve Smith from Peavey if you're having problems with one of the new import basses. One of my students bought a bass from a shop in Seattle, and there was such a terrible hump in the neck from the 3rd through 7th frets, that the only way to fix it is a complete fingerboard leveling (which would take off a LOT of the wood in this bass's case) and a refret. I called him, and he said to send it back, and he'd replace the bass. They seem to have a LOT of trouble with this new factory.
  12. I have already delt with Steve Smith about my last bass. He was good about replacing it and he represents customer service very well for Peavey.
  13. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Yeah! And Fords suck! Get a Lexus man!!!:mad: :rolleyes:
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I noticed that too. The only drawback might be the extra $3k or $4k the Drozd'll set you back.

By the way, it's "no one." Noone is the lead singer of Herman's Hermits.