Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Family Photos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was going to take some pics of my new Bongo the other day, so I figured I'd take some new family shots of all four of my basses (I don't really count my sanded, defretted, in about eight different pieces no-name first bass anymore).

So here they are :)

[​IMG]
    One of these things does not go together/One of these things just doesn't belong...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for anyone who wants to see the Elrick construction method...
    [​IMG]

The e-volution shaped bass is in the middle and outside two have the Classic shape. You can see the rounder edges the bullnose radiusing gives the e-volution, compared to the more "classic" Classic.
    [​IMG]

When I was taking the pictures, a guy yelled from the stoplight fifty feet down the street "Nice basses- you selling them?" :D

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sweet collection, man. I guess that Bongo gives you a nice change of pace from those Elricks.

3. Nice, BT! Very nice!

4. Very nice collection :)

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well, no one can call you a traditional old stick in the mud.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Very nice, but the Bongo and the color of the ramp don't really match :meh:

7. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Awesome Arsenal. Beautiful Elricks.

8. DUDE SWEET. :hyper:

nuff sed!!

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks, guys. :)

Yeah, I attempted to paint it black with an acrylic paint, but it just flaked out when playing (the ramp is pink ivorywood and not very absorbant). I'm going to try to stain it black some time in the future.

10. Nice family you have there!

It's the Elrick's and the ugly step child. :D ;)

Just kidding. love em all.

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Maybe you could get some pickguard material and epoxy it to it so it matches the pickguard instead of the pickups.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I like that idea, but there wouldn't be room. The ramp is really thin top-to-bottom as is, and it has little room under the strings to adjust it higher (since it's sitting on the pickguard which raises its height about 1/8"), so adding anything thicker than a thin paint layer would be too thick.

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--it's made of wood, not gold. A six pack of beer, and an orbital sander will take off as much of that top as you want. :D

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yeah, that was me.

But after I drove off, I realized I don't need to buy them now that I know where you live...I'll just wait until your car's out of the driveway some day and help myself.

(No, not really, but it CAN be a bad idea to flaunt gear like that outside your house. You never know who's driving by)

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    And my fingers :D The top's radiused, so I'd have to sand the bottom more than I already have (I've got one of those multispeed DeWalt orbitals). The height of the ramp at the edges from top to bottom is about 1/4", so I'm a bit wary of sanding it anymore. It's no biggie, though- I'll figure something out. Right now it's a tossup between staining it black or inlaying the words "Crunk Juice" on it in gold leaf.

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Might I suggest a picture, instead:

[​IMG]

:eek:

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :eek:
    I'm calling Vinny Fodera for some inlay work right now....

18. Why not just glue two pieces of pickguard together, stacked, and use that as your ramp? :) If you want to radius it, you can sand down the bottom piece to match the radius.

19. Elricks... must... have... more.... Elricks :D That's quite a collection... beautiful... and hey, those Bongo's are so funky looking I think the ramp looks fine :hyper: