Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fast Automatic Daffodils (New Fads)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by APouncer, Jun 28, 2002.

1. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Has anyone heard of these guys? They are an excellent early 90's English group - clever pop songs in a "Madchester" style. Check out the bass playing. I'm wondering if it's all fretless, it certainly sounds like it to me.

2. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i remember them - good bass as far as i remember.

i'm not sure if he played a fretless, but i have a memory of the bass player with a westone thunder....

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Now there's a band I've not heard mention of for a while - I've got the first two albums, and saw them live at least twice (might have been three times...) - fantastic band! A fine bassist, who was playing a fender jazz IIRC when I saw them.

for me. the magic of the band was the interplay between bass, drums and the percussionist, who was great...

right, as soon as I get my record deck set up again this week, I'm going to audition it with 'Fishes Eyes'... :oops:)

Thanks for the memories!

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

4. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    well, i've only got vague recollections from pics in the NME....

nice to be taken back to my uni days....

5. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Yes, I'd forgotten all about the New Fads, then had a flashback to 'Kyphos' from 'Body Exit Mind' and decided to root it out my collection, unfortunately that and 'Pigeonhole' were nowhere to be found. I tried to buy or order them but the record labels have deleted them both (?!?) so a 5 week hunt on Ebay and 2nd hand CD shops ensued, culminating in getting both of them a couple of weeks ago.

I'd forgotten just how good they were as a band - the percussionist is excellent, the basslines very melodic and the interplay between all of them is interesting and very musical - added to his rants and one-liners over the top - just superb!

"Clear as mud, it was the Good book it was, clear as mud."

"You increase my shelf-life and passers-by just can't help staring at me.
    My bargain basement's all sold out and while stocks last I'll keep myself back for you."

"Talking of lonesome tonight, you were lying when you said you loved me...Bring on the all-arounders, time's up."

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK