Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New FBB in progress.. latest pix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Chewning, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Jus' thought I'd throw these pix out for general consumption. I had to show somebody... :)

Specs:

Neck is a wenge-bloodwood-flame maple with a macassar ebony board and cocobolo headstock veneer.

Five piece body is a cocobolo crotch top, wenge, mahogany, wenge, cocobolo back.

And my woman wonders why I'm not interested in
    sexy pictures on the internet.

I feel like a high school kid waiting for prom night!:D

Edited for stupidity.

2. and the headstock..

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Don't worry about your wife, man. That bass is as sexy as they come. :D

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

congrads Jon

I will have my FBB in about a month:) . Is this your first FBB and what would you say is best way to describe Matt's basses. Best of luck to you.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Jon's another multi-FBB owner, he'll give you a nice review I bet.

#67's looking good there. Guess who get's their FBB first though:cool:

6. Wow, that's looking sexy. Those "Double-Wide" bodies and huge Player horns sure look like they give good balance.

7. Yeah, this will be my third FBB... I have a problem. :D

I can't say enough about the tone I get out of these basses, and secondly the feel and balance. I like to play with headstock closer to me. The longer upper horn, which juts out to the 12th or 11th fret, brings that end of the bass closer, so my left hand gets fatigued less.

But yeah the tone I get is just so nice, sometimes I can't think of enough superlatives. Most of time it's a big grin and 'Cool!'

Actually this one is patterned after a design
    Matt had called an 'Atlas'. I think the only other one was #32.

Metal, which one is your's?

Hey xush, when do expect delivery on yours? And just because you're first in line doesn't mean you're better than the rest of us, ya dog! :D

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Metal's buying the Dombro proto.
    I guess you and I are having a race...
    Just heard from Matt, he said it'll be ready in a couple of weeks, he coated the board and will start waxing and final setup now. Yay!

I guarandangtee I'm not better, I can barely play anymore!

You'll have to get down to one of the Bass Summit's so we can max out the FBB count.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's a nice bass, Jon.

Do you guys ever play in the bay area?

10. Nah, the closest we've come is Clayton. I think we're booked for the Wine & Arts fest there again this year. Great gig...

11. Mmmm I had my eye on that bass fer a while. Of course I've had my eyes on ALL of them!

Yeah it'd be cool to try some other FBB's. I'd probably have to travel a couple thousand miles to do that, dangit! :bawl:

We'll be expecting reviews on #62, hoss!

12. MAJOR METAL

Jon your into the 2 and 3 headstock i dont know many people who are into that but it all about what you like.
    Mine is the 047-02 it looks very very nice i cant wait to get it. What do you guys recomend for a case should i get it with matt or try something else. I dont need a flight case i am not going to circle the globe with it but i should probably get a hard shell. Any tips would be helpfull

13. Yeah, my preference is the 3+2 or 3+3 as opposed to inline tuners. That's one of the nice things about getting a custom.

Let us know how you like #47! I'm sure there's a bunch of us here that have lusted after that one..

Matt's website has a few options for cases now. He just posted that he can get custom cases (at a price), as well as some Ace Products for $70.

I was able to fit #20 (fretless 6'er) into an SKB case. It was preformed for a P-bass but mine fit OK with some extra padding.

14. MAJOR METAL

Jon
    How did a guy from CA come to find out about FBB out here on the east coast. What kind of amp are you playing with, i am currently using Ampeg.

15. I stumbled on Matt's website about the time he was making #25. I had been wanting a fretless, and #20 looked real fine! So I bought it loved it ever since. I also got a great deal on #13, which Matt sold to me without any hardware, except the Kahler bridge. I put in a Bart pre and p/u's and the rest of the hardware, got a fret job, and it's been a tonal tank. It is pretty heavy especially after four sets, but it kills tone-wise!

Right now I'm running thru an Eden Navigator, QSC PLX1602 and a Bergantino HT112 x Acme B-2, but I am shopping preamps currently, so that may change.

I'm interested to hear from you about that maple fingerboard. I'm wondering how different the tone would (wood) be... :D

16. MAJOR METAL

These are real cherished basses you can never find any on ebay that says alot.

17. Actually, I've seen one--an early prototype that Matt sold to a local music store.

18. Wow, all this makes me excited for tommorow! I talked to Matt on Saturday and I will be going to the shop tommorow to look for possibly my first custom bass to be built. Man i'm excited!!

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Whaddid I miss?

20. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Looking good, Jon. That crotch top is beautiful. Your new pics and Xush's comments about his being almost finished are intensifying the G.A.S. for mine (#65.) :)