1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Fender 1964 vintage spec jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fibonacci1618, Oct 2, 2013.

1. fibonacci1618

fibonacci1618

Sep 23, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I'm newbie here and a guitar player and I started playing bass last year with a $500 Fender clone a guy makes and sells on ebay so I could make my own backing tracks but then I really started to enjoy bass. So I thought I'd upgrade to a real Fender and I just got the LPB one used but in mint condition off of ebay too.

However I noticed that compared to the G string, the other 3 strings sound rather muted while the G "rings like a bell" and the sustain is like 3-4 times longer on G. The E-A-D strings on my clone also sustain much longer too. The string height is about the same as the clone. Does anyone know what is could be?

Could it be the fender strings? The strings I have on the clone are really old and tarnished too but still sustain longer. I guess I could learn about bass set up. I don't really want to start replacing the bridge or parts etc.

Thanks guy and gals...

2. bridgecover still on? There is a foam mute underneath it, that dampens the strings. And I guess the '64 comes with flatwounds, which sound thuddy and "less lively" than the rounds that are probably on your clone

3. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Could be pickup height.

4. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    What Mr.Fingers said. Make sure there's no foam mutes damping the strings. If not, then put on some new strings and see what happens.

5. fibonacci1618

fibonacci1618

Sep 23, 2013
    Thanks guys. The bridge cover is still on. I'll check it out tonight. I noticed there is a wedge of foam and muting instructions in the case candy when I opened it last night. The plastic was unopened but perhaps there is another one under there for just those 3 strings.

I assume the strings are Fender 7250M roundwounds if original. I don't know much about bass strings yet.

Yeah I'm not sure about the pickup height either, I assued it would be set up right but the sound is not as clean like my cheap clone especailly the E gets really distorted compared to the clone.

So without the foam muting or pickup interference etc you guys are saying all strings should sustain "like a bell" right?

Wow this is a cool forum! Lots of folks here!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How old are the strings?

7. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Foam on the bridge, aged strings, pickup height or a bridge issue would be the first things I would check out. In that order.

8. guitarguy95

guitarguy95

Oct 3, 2013
    Hello Newbie,,just for your knowledge,,go to TOMASTIC.com everything you "Should Know" about string Sound,and bell sound or slap sound or flat funk can be learned there,Tomastic is THE VERY BEST STRING maker in the World,based in ITALY,anybody who wants to sound like Stanley Cl. or just keep their Bass from bending the neck off the Body of instrument Uses Tomastic,,i have a 15,ooo dlr gibson that i only put Tom. Infield sets on,,,planet bass and others will try to SELL YOU cheaper brands,,,DON'T GET FOOLED,,there are alot of Variables in strings,, TOM. Infield makes Custom sets if you want them and there are Stainless core for Electrics and Acoustic core for basses with a Peizo pick-up,,,YOU can do the rest from this info,,you will be ONE UP on everyone else,,,Last thing,:hyper::hyper: Once you tune your new strings Read ABOUT ,,SETTING YOUR INTONATION,,GOD Bless you.:hyper:

9. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good post, 10/10, would read again.

10. precijazz

precijazz I want a name when I lose.

Aug 31, 2011
    Almanya
    Yeah,,me too:hyper::hyper:

Sorry, OP, for how your thread is going down. Check for foam mute under the bridge cover. If there's none, try new strings. Report back if that doesn't help.

11. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    :D

But in all seriousness, it does sound like a mute issue. Why the G wouldn't be muted I don't know, unless part of the mute has come off. Otherwise, a new set of strings could never hurt, fresh rounds should give you plenty of ringing sustain. Maybe the previous owner replaced the G string and the other strings are from an older set? More info or pics would be helpful as well.

12. fibonacci1618

fibonacci1618

Sep 23, 2013

Very cool. Thanks a lot! I saw Stanley with big Al and Chick a few years ago. Awesome...

There was foam under the bridge cover and it was bearly touching the G. I love that bass and I'm going bass crazy I just got a black Fender American Deluxe V too. It's so much fun! Thanks everyone for the input.

13. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the winged monkeys show up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I played one at a GC, and yes the G-string was not muted nearly as much as the other strings.

14. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    For the record, it's spelled Thomastik, and they are made in Vienna, Austria - not Italy.

15. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I think D'Addario XLs are best for a jazz bass. I tried a set of Thomastic-Infeld strings and didn't really like them.