Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fender 60's Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gander, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
  2. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying a new MIA 4 string Fender Jazz.

3. Gander, what do you think of the quality?

Post a few pics when you can, I would love to see it and CONGRATS!

;) Treena

4. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    I've heard they were pretty good, even though they are MIM

5. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Wish I could post a picture, Treena, but no digital camera. It's Chrome Red with rosewood board. I believe they've been discontinued. The new ones have the pickup switching arrangement. It was kind of a panic buy when I could find very few new ones with the old V-V-T only controls. It's been hanging on the GC wall for months and I'm in the process of doing a set up and converting it to BEAD. No issues with quality yet. The bass and my new amp are costing me a 7 day Caribbean cruise. Oh well, I get to go along and listen to some pretty good ships bands.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Congrats Gander! Fender basses are awesome! :) :bassist:

7. man...that thing looks soo good.

I hate whoever gets on:D

8. I've worked a few ship gigs, they're fun! Enjoy your bass and the bands!

;) Treena

9. Well, for what it's worth, my main gigging bass for more than two decades was a 1966 Fender Jazz. When I finally decided that I was uncomfortable taking it out to gigs and jam sessions, I bought one of the 60s Jazz Basses. It was even in the same color (white).

When I bought the bass, I took my 1966 into the store and played them side by side. As far as I'm concerned, the two basses are so similar in tone and feel that it's almost spooky. The main cosmetic difference is that my '66 has a bound fretboard. The original may also be a tad heavier. But, I have been playing the newer one quite a lot recently and I'm absolutely loving it. A new "favorite bass." Of course, I have an awful lot of sentimental attachment to the 'ol '66 and I would rather lose a limb than part with that bass, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 60s Jazz Bass, and I feel that it holds its own quite well next to the original. Like comin' home. I also put in a series/parallel switch in the new bass, and I'm very pleased with the extra tonal flexibility that this mod has given me. By the way, it is my understanding that, even though it is a Mexi bass, Fender does some extra finishing work on these basses. The frets seemed dressed particularly well for a Mexi, for example. Maybe I just got a "good one." I dunno. But I'm certainly very happy with mine, and I've owned various vintage Fenders over the years. :cool:

I'd post a picture of it, but I don't have a digital camera, either.

10. Brad, we have a lot in common, I play the vintage J basses-two of them are always on stage with me. 66 and a 67.

I even own a couple of the reissues, thats my point. When I play them side by side , the reissues
    just feel sloppy. I had to redress the frets, put in new pots
    and I generally have noiseless pickups put into them. After practically rebuilding them, I've spent almost enough money to put towards another vintage piece. Maybe you did get lucky!

;) Treena

11. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Treena, you'd asked about quality. The nut string slots were cut about .008" too high. After I lowered them it felt like a different bass. The frets were tarnished so I polished the frets and fretboard with 0000 steel wool, gave it a light coat of lemon oil and polished it out. It came out a beautiful semigloss chocolate color. I'm happy. :cool:

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think the Mexican 60's jazz bass is great. I've played a few of them in different stores & they've all felt, played & sounded better then the USA 62 RI I compared then to.

Hey Treena, I'm curious about how modifying a MIM 60's Jazz would cost anything close to a $2500+ '66 or '67.

$600 bass
    $150 p/u's
    $25 new pots & input jack
    ~$150 fret dress
    $925.

13. Nino, I believe I said, after doing all that work I could put the money towards a vintage bass. Not meaning I could pay for one with that money or instead of.

FWIW, I get killer deals from a guy in Oregon at McKenzie River Music(Bob November) on vintage basses. I never have paid the going rate. I've been buying from him since I was 13 years old! That's 30 years if you need the math!

[​IMG]

Treena

14. If you read the thread, Gander says he ended up purchasing a MIA 4 string Fender Jazz anyway!

[​IMG]

Treena

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Gotcha!!!:)