Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fender 70s Precision Reissue? Am I missing something...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drd07, Aug 11, 2003.

1. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I know someone that bought one of these. It is a great bass and the neck is tad narrower than a C size. I don't remember the exact specs, but I do remember that they are on a web site somewhere.

It was really a good sounding and nice playing instrument. It looks really good as well.

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Damn, i would buy that over an MIA P anytime.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    There is the best part. This bass is made in America. Yea great price for what you are getting.

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yeah. i would easily take that over a standard MIA Standard P. I love that color combo on a P-bass, its soo pretty. it would look totally killer with a set of pickup and bridge covers.... :drools:

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What the heck kind of "70s reissue" is that?!?!?

* No 70's P bass had string-through-bridge that I know of.

* I thought 70's P basses had three bolt necks with a neck tilt adjustment. (or was that just Jazz basse?)

* If I remember correctly 70s P basses had at least screw holes for ashtrays, many had ashtrays installed from the factory. Heck they may have even had finger rests.

Even the tuners look wrong.

As far as I can tell the only thing that has in common with a 70's P is the lettering on the headstock.:confused: Fender is usually much more authentic when recreating their own heritage.

Nice looking bass though.

7. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    trying...to....resist...from....buying....don't.....think....I ....can...!!!!

8. Very nice. A P-Bass is probably the only bass that I would ever get in white, just something about that black pickguard on the white body makes it looks awesome. Might have to look into one of those.

jtbp

9. P's have always had four bolts.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I can find no page for this model on Fender's site, which is generally pretty disorganized and late to update. I can't find a part number for it, either.

Who knows what this thing really is and what it's made out of?

Fender's "made in USA" may not mean the same thing to you that it does to them, so it pays to check out the specs, parts lists and fine print as well as you can. Many cheaper "made in USA" Fenders, most egregiously the H1 Stratocaster, were not only partially made in Mexico, but were almost completely import parts and MIM-grade materials (specifically, the H1 Stratocaster was in fact a MIM "Classic '70s" Stratocaster with a slightly improved neck, different tuner knobs and downgraded finish applied in the US - check the parts lists).

This particular bass bears relatively little resemblance to a real 1970s Precision, for some of the reasons mentioned. They did have the 4-screw plate, however, though not the string-through body - which is an improvement, as the original 1970s toploaded bridge plate was very thin and weak.

Always do your homework on new Fender models before plunking down your money.

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Guys, I've seen one of these in person. I didn't buy it, but a friend did. These are not the Highway 1 basses. These are real USA made basses.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    With graphite necks? Any import hardware?

13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  14. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    It's 70's influenced but not a 70's "Reissue" if you get my drift.

It is a stnadard MIA P Bass with a different paint job and TV style logo.

That means it has a graphite reinforced neck that is "B" width instead of "C" and string thru body option.

Basically it's a cosmetic thing and it was done as a limited run so is not on the Fender website.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And this is one reason why I have a problem with modern Fenders. I can get the real deal, Vintage Fender's for less money than the fake! And they sound better too!