Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fender bass -- set-up difficulty -- need fret levelling?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phoenix, Jun 6, 2003.

1. phoenix

phoenix

May 22, 2003
    I've been tweaking my new American Deluxe Jazz Bass a lot - action, relief (and then, of course, intonation) to get it to play cleanly without buzzing. The action is pretty high now. My first instrument is guitar (mainly acoustic) and I know that with acoustic guitars, you need to keep the action a little high to avoid buzzing. I can handle fairly stiff action - to me a clean sound is worth the extra effort. The action on my Jazz Bass is uncomfortably high, though. Am wondering if I need a fret job. Do new American Fenders often need fret work? Or maybe I just need to get better at bass set-ups.... Thanks!

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    If you tried setting it up and are still having problems, you probably should take it to get professionally set up. They will let you know if it needs fret leveling, and can do it for you too.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    When I started playing again I bought a DLX jazz MIM. I tried all kind of strings on it to get the sound I liked, but all I did was tramatize the neck. I too thought something was wrong with the bass, I would ajust this tweak that and wondered if I had a bad instrument. One day I put a set of strings on it (T.I. power bass) set it up and never touched the bridge or neck again. I own a whole lot of Fenders and all the basses I bought new had inspection tags on them. What I am getting to is if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, bring it to someone who does. I also own a 98 MIA DLX jazz that plays like butter with low action and all

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i've had mexican fenders that needed truss adjustments every week or so,it could be a few things. mine was worse when the weather changed frequently,no matter what i did the neck would move,i even had it checked by a quality luthier and he said the same thing.i have since gotten rid of the bass because of its problematic neck,even the fretts started to lift and stick out from the sides of the neck. i know the weather has adverse effects on a neck but my japanese fender was in the same room and its neck never moved or came out of tune for that matter. the point being that a good basses neck should'nt be moving that much,you mite have a lemon on your hands because an american fender should'nt need constant maintanence,a little adjusment every now and then is acceptable but constant attention is un-common
    good luck

5. phoenix

phoenix

May 22, 2003
    Yes, it is possible that a tech could do a better set-up job than I've done. That's good advice -- I'll bring it to a good shop. Hopefully, it doesn't need a fret job.