1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEW Fender Bassman Pro line of amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Jan 12, 2012.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    There are two other threads on these amps that I know about.

Folks seem pretty excited about them,,, but not so excited about the price point on the 100T.

2. slamzilla

slamzilla Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    DFW
    Sounds like they have the distorted sound down pat but I really want to hear more of the clean channel.

3. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I think they really got it right on these amps. Design wise I think the 100T is pretty awesome.

I wonder how close the clean "vintage" channel is to the original. I have an old bassman 100 that I like quite a bit, but it's lacking on some of the features. I really wish it had a 4 and 8 ohm tap. I think I'll play it out at my gig tonight!

4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    First time I have read the weight of the 300 - 65 pounds makes it quite a bit lighter than the SVT. Hmmmmmm.......

5. slamzilla

slamzilla Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    DFW
    I love the Genz Benz amps and banner in the background of the third video. :D

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I know computer speakers don't do any justice, but based on those videos I think I prefer my SVT, at least until I get the chance to try one out in the flesh. Am I the only person who likes a clean sound with plenty of headroom?

7. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Exciting! I have the bassman TV series duoten. Once I found what the passive tone stack was all about, I finally found the voice of my bass. No dead tones from mismatched EQ points or speakers. I really love it.

I sold by SVT4Pro just because it sounded too hifi

Now this comes along? I've got goosebumps!

I'm gonna go all out and get the 300..

8. I'm really interested in these two new amps. I heard a lot over the years about 100 watt tube amps not being loud enough yet a lot of people on these threads are so excited about the 100T.

9. I really dig the concept and the look is gorgeous. However as nice as they are, I'm still very much in love with my 300t :D

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I think they're demonstrating the dirty channel and blend features more because the clean bassman sound is somewhat familiar.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well the world is looking for clean bass sounds, so I'm surprised they're not playing that up more. Tube amps have enough of an image problem already without targeting only rock players, you'd think.

12. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

*Shrug*

That's true. Perhaps they're being a bit too conservative and just advertising to the market they know is already interested then, which I suppose is the easier route.

Though I'm rarely satisfied with a manufacturer's demo video. They're usually too short and don't really demonstrate the full capabilities of their own gear.

13. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, I'm not all that interested in hearing the dirty channel, I want to hear what the clean channel can do, and what IT sounds like cranked into power tube drive. Still don't entirely see why they have a drive channel on the 100T, but NONETHELESS, these amps look like potentially awesome amps.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, but they can help you put together a short list to go try for yourself. And for many folks, that's all they've got to go by. I'm all for Youtube videos, but I do agree they should have substance and demonstrate the amps more. I imagine they will eventually, and these are teasers. I've seen some good ones, though. Dino's Ampeg vids are really good at showing off the features. Seen a lot of pretty high quality amateur stuff, too. Those are the best ones to check out.

15. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I will have the opportunity to try one of these very shortly (the only one in New Zealand I think), but even if it really impressed me I think I would want to wait until a few people have road tested them and we get some reliability reports. I always found the old Bassman 100s to be lacking in clean headroom at volume, and since I play clean the 100 would not really interest me. The 300 is interesting, but my SVT VR does super loud (louder than I will ever need) with clean so well that I don't feel any urge to change.
    That said, the tone of the old Bassmans really suited my old jazz bass back in the seventies.......
    I think I will take my Berg NV cabinets along so that I have a reference point.

16. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    With a Mesa Walkabout and and an Ampeg PF-500, I'm pretty much good to go on heads. I'm interested in the new cabs. That Bassman 610 Neo looks pretty dang cool.

Dan