Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW FENDER BASSMAN?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Why is it that I hardly ever see anything about the new Fender Bassman range on here? The 400 or 800 pro?

These seem sound quite similar to some of the SWR swries, but with a different set of controls? is this the case or are they completely different? How do they compare to other amps out there, as I never see them come up in posts?

anyone got one or used them?

2. I guess this is something we don't talk about....

3. Vicar Philip

Vicar Philip

Sep 15, 2004
    Illinois
    I've got one!

[​IMG]
    Loud, punchy, and a nice EQ section. No complaints here with 30+ gigs under its belt.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I guess not many people say anything because they're expensive and people don't want to take a risk in purchasing an amp that has been considered by many to be mediocre. I like fender amps. I just wish they were cheaper.

5. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I have the Bassman 400 (not the pro one, the older black one with the single rack space) and love it!
    I play it through either a David Eden 15 or a Bag end 15. I don't gig much, but the amp has seen 40 or so gigs, and I have no complaints. In fact, I find the longer I have the amp, the easier it is to make big changes if I want, though most of the time I have it pretty close to flat (since I'm happy with my basses). I play mostly j basses, and this amp seems a good match to that style, obviously... :)

I've been wondering why people don't seem to talk about the Fender amps to much. I had an SWR redface 350 for a while, but the fan got to be a bit annoying. Sounded ok though, I like my Fender better. Is the 350 considered a "transparent" amp? Or something else?

Peace!

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    This only Fender amps we typically reccomend are the 1200 Pro and the 300 Pro. Both are great amps!

7. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    They're not the big craze right now, nobody talks about fender amps. I've been looking around for the 300Pro but no stores around here stock tube amps :mad: . I have the Bassman200, which I guess they're not making antmore. It's been a great sounding amp exept I had to replace all the pots which was really dumb. I don't like it as much as I do a tube amp though.

8. "we".....got a mouse in your pocket?

I've owned a Bassman 400 Pro since the Pro version was first introduced. IMO, it's a great amp. Beat out the Peavey BAM, SWR Redhead and GK in my comparisions. I havent had a chance to compare it to an Eden Metro. It's about 2/3 the price of the aforementioned rigs as well.

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I don't like the design of the new Fender lines, they resemble Mesa way to much. Either Mesa copied them or they copied Mesa.

Fender 800pro:
    [​IMG]

Mesa M-Pulse 600:
    [​IMG]

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Fender 400 and 400Pro came out before they bought SWR. I have posted here about them. They are surprisingly good, and I think the 400s are a good lower-cost alternative to the Super Redhead and Metro. I played through a Bassman 250 2X10 last weekend, and was very pleased with the sound I got through it with an MIM Jazz Bass. The Bassman series seem to be pretty decent amps.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now they make the Bassman 250.

12. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well the only Fender amps I have heard around here are the 1200 Pro and 300 Pro when talking about finding a newer Sunn (1200S/300T respectively)

13. I have an older Fender Bassman 400 210 combo, the one without the second speaker-out option. It sounds good in jazz and pit band settings in small to medium-large halls, but it doesn't have the power to compete against a distorted guitar and a drumset. My friend also owned one that I played on a few times and his seemed to have a lot more balls than mine, so perhaps mine is faulty. I have retired mine to life at the guitarists house and use a Peavey Firebass with a 410TX and/or Avatar B212 at gigs now and am much happier with it. The Fender does have a much more polite/warm tone. It will not do any type of grind unless you are clipping it, and if you do that you can count on replacing speakers. Its strange because it doesnt sound as dead as some other SS amps, but its not liveliest either, its a generic kind of sound.