Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass - Active

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spikeh, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Hey all - those of you that've read my previous posts will know I've been debating what 2nd bass I should buy. Got back from the shop about 3 hours ago with a new Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass /w active pickups... and omg it's nice. I'm telling you - this beauty's given me overnight slapping ability!

I'm sure you've all seen Fenders before - but I thought I'd post the picture just for completeness! :D Sorry about the quality - it's on a 1.3mpx phone camera :( You can see my old Westfield in the background too...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My new baby :bassist:

2. Congrats
    Beautiful!!
    It's a mexico deluxe Jazz with american electronic??
    It must be a good quality/price ratio!

Vince

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    what was the other bass you where debating to get?

4. That's awesome! I think I want that for my second bass! So, it's a Mexican Fender Jazz Deluxe? Do you think it would be an improvment over a beginner Ibanez SR300DX?

5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Yeah, it's the Mexican version... not sure about the electronics, I assumed they were mexican too?

Well... I tried out the passive version of the same bass... I tried out some Active Yamaha (I really can't remember the model, sorry) and some Ibanez... but the action was set too low so I didn't really give it a chance! I liked the Yamaha a lot... had a lot of great features, plus it was cheaper... but overall, the Fender won for feel and tone.

I tell you... I'm in love. Just been round a mates watching a film, and all I could think about was playing it!

Having a jamming session this weekend with another mate... can't wait for that either!

I've not been this excited since I got my first PC! :D

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Nice jazz deluxe! and hey i have the same westfield p bass in tobacco sunburst that just sits in the corner! haha

7. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    How's it sound and play?

8. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I have no reason whatsoever to pick the Westfield up again ;P I'm gonna keep it for nostalgia sake though... might even change the pickups on it at some point. Never modded a bass, so it could be my "Spikehsteins' Monster" ;)

9. Be sure to buy guitar cleaner and keep that baby shiny...

10. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Well.... considering it's only my second bass, and I've only really played about 7 basses in my life (only 3 for extended periods), I'd say it was pretty damn blissfull to play...

I got the bass to get better at slapping / popping... and to me, it's got a lot more personality than anything I've played... I've been playing about with the EQ quite a lot, and I've been able to get any Jazz / Rock / Funk sound out of it I've needed. My ears are quite untrained, however... and I;ve only had it one night!

It honestly feels beautiful to hold... I find it quite light, and the neck is very easy to slide down. I do need to set the action a little higher on the E, A and G strings - but that's my only gripe!

I might be bigging it up too much... but you gotta appreciate I've been playing on this Westfield P-Bass for 2 years!

11. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I A - B'd this bass with a Standard American, not only did it sound better, it played better too. It didn't have the trademark high Fender action. It sounded so pronounced and punchy, the American sounded lifeless in comparison, though there was some slight clicking on the 1st string, though its nothing an Allen key can't handle. Gave me major GAS.

12. I used to have one of these (the older kind), and it was great. I kind of miss it... My only complaint was that I did not particularly like the voicing of the EQ, although my crappy amp may have made it worse than it really was. Congratulations! Good looking bass!