1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Fender Dimension Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tracer03, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    looks sort of like a Jazz rounded off slightly to be more like a P.
    or maybe it's right in between a jazz and a P.

2. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    There are a couple threads discussing this.

3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Look at the top horn, and compare it to a Strat.

That said, it's not long enough to balance, especially in the "5" configurations.

I'll pass....

4. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Well, better get used to seeing them. Fender didn't spend millions of dollars and two years developing these models only to withdraw them because their already loyal legion of Jazz and Precision fans balked at the appearance before they were even widespread in music stores.

I think that Fender is charting out their benchmark model for the 21st Century here (albeit a little late). Some might see it as a brilliant move to try and take market share away from their competitor EBMM. Youthful as well as new bass players may be more open to the looks AND the sound, once they are more readily available to audition in stores.

Me, I'm intrigued. I don't have the money to shell out for a MIA version, but I might be able to swing one of the Modern Players somewhere down the road (ESPECIALLY in "natural" finish!).

I'll be happy to wait and see how they feel and sound before making any decisions.

5. Yeah, they didn't turn up when I did a search (which I thought was weird, but...).

I think - for me - it's the goofy pickguard. I may have to play with photoshop to see what it would look like with something not as.....ugly.

6. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Agreed...it's a funny looking guard. It may grow on us in time, however!! The Precision and the Jazz certainly are different from one another. I'm wondering if the Jazz bass took any heat for its pickguard design when it first came out?

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Yeah, they said that about the Bass V, the Bullet basses & guitars, the Lead series guitars, the Katana, the Hartfeld, the H.M., the....

8. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA

Well, let's say for argument's sake, if the Dimension Series takes a dump in the marketplace (doubt it; they look pretty sweet) like the others you mentioned, maybe they will become collectors' items. Win-win!

9. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I dig them, although it appears Fender still believes basses should be played mostly horizontal.

10. the pickguard is the element that keeps the Fender tradition: it comes directly from the tele thinline

11. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    Just search for threads from 1960.

12. The body shape reminds me of the old 4 string mandolin.

13. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Anything new is gonna look weird for a while. Personally, I dug these right off the bat, and the Chinese one has me GASing a bit…

Is there any routing under the pick guard?

14. inate_hex

inate_hex

Apr 4, 2010
    Manchester, England
    I occasionally wet the bed.
    finally a new product from Fender. I like how it says in the marketing spiel "from the company that invented electric bass"........... the "company" has changed hands since then.
    They have moved with the times and incorporated the truss rod system that EBMM uses too.

15. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Intrigued - ME TOO! And if you look closely, the models are significantly different from each other.

The low end one is passive, has a 3-coil, blade-type humbucker and does not have a conventional tone control. Instead it has a 5-position coil selector switch.

The next model up price-wise has a single MM style humbucker with 3-band, 18 volt active EQ. And I greatly agree with eldoryder: the natural finish ash version is drop-dead beautiful IMHO.

And then there are the two American versions with single and dual MM pickups, 3-band active EQ, and a 5-way pickup selector switch on the HH.

I'm really looking forward to trying them out when they become available at GC and elsewhere - especially the two lower-end versions. I wonder what those multi-radius neck/fretboards feel like...

Who knows - I may not like them. :rollno: But then again, I may just love them!!! :D

Have any of the TB faithful played/reviewed one yet? The search engine was less than completely helpful...

16. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    I wish they make one with the duel pups in black/black pickguard with a rosewood fingerboard. I looked and that doesn't look like an option.

17. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm another one who's intrigued by the compound radius neck. I've never played one before so I'm rather curious how it plays/feels compared to what I've known for years and have no complaints with. But I'm open to new things.

I've said it before....I don't need another bass. I really don't. But if I tried one and fell head over heals for it I would be trying to sell some things to get one. That's the only way I could justify it. I gotta go to my local music store anyway this weekend and if they have one (a 5 string model), then who knows? But I'm not passing any judgement until I have the chance to try one for myself.

18. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    The MP also has a Jazz neck, while the others have a Precision neck. The P neck turned me off to this bass unless I go 5 string in the future.

19. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Thanks for the info - my tastes are opposite. So just to clarify:

American Deluxe Dimension™ Bass IV & V - Precision neck profile

American Deluxe Dimension™ Bass IV & V - Precision neck profile

Deluxe Dimension™ Bass IV & V - Precision neck profile

Modern Player Dimension™ Bass IV - Jazz neck profile

...right???