"New" Fender Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 88ric2030, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Just looking at Musician's Friend and I ran across these. Just wondering if anybody here has tried them yet. If so are they any different from the old Fender flats, or is this just new packaging ?

Reason I ask, they are on sale for $18.99. I tried the "old" Fender flats once, hated the high tension (prefer Chromes for flatwound)
    and swore I'd never buy them again, but if they've revamped them somewhat, I'd be willing to give some a shot at this price.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....ound-Long-Scale-Bass-Strings-Light?sku=423285

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Looks like same strings (9050 model), with new packaging and new gauges.

The 45-100 set looks interesting; same gauges as the ECB81 set of Chromes, and Fender's the 50-100 set always seemed kind of strange gauge-wise.

3. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I'm sure they are the same as the old ones, but they may be worth trying again using the 45-100, they dont have bad tension at all. The 45-100 isnt new either, and were around way before the new packaging, (I know because I have them on my bass! :)). So I cant see anything new except the pack, which does look pretty cool compared to the old one :cool:.

4. yes looks like new packaging same old stock number juststrings has the the light in the new packaging but still have heavier gauge in the old would have been interesting if fender did have another flat wound.

5. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I put a set of these on my L2000 on Friday. I'm playing through a new amp and the strings aren't broken in yet so the jury's still out. Based on my memory of the old Fender flats, these have a more manageable tension.

6. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The 45-100 set is new: The light set used to be 45-95, and is now 45-100.

The ML set 50-100 and M 55-105 set haven't changed.

7. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
  8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The new ones say Made in USA, where the older sets say Assembled in Mexico with USA materials. I'm guessing that it means that they're using a whole new facility to make these in? There's nothing on Fenders website indicating this.

If so, I HOPE they're doing a better job. I still really like their roundwounds, but I can swear, the last couple of sets of Fender flatwounds I've used had something wrong with them. They were definitely different from the first ones I bought 10 years ago.

9. Just in case...y'all know that this isn't the only thread for these strings, don't you? I know PSPookie already is aware, but some of you may have missed the other one.

10. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Check the date of the two threads, nobody (except you) posted here since the other thread has been up ;).

11. Yeah, I noticed that...afterwards (I wasn't terribly alert yesterday in general for some reason, and this just proves it). I'm still hoping for an answer to my tension question in the other one, tho...

12. BUY THEM!! I just put them on my Squier II P-bass. They sound heavenly, with a smooth, creamy low end. They're not "plumber's snakes" like the old ones and they have a lot less tension. That oily. garage smell is still there but not as pungent.
    They do mimic DA Chromes, but they're not as rubberbandish as chromes, just solid, classic Fender.

My only beef initially was that they seemed to clang more than the old ones when I fretted, but I can overlook that. Overall, they're amazing! Gonna buy more sets soon to stock up. I don't get the lower price and Made in USA?? Always thought that would make them even more expensive but...I ain't complaining.:hyper:

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021