New - Fender Frank Bello bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Oct 16, 2005.

What do you all think of this bass? The P/J combo is interesting, but the lack of tone knobs just doesn't do it for me. Probably because I like a bass with more variety than not. It's the same problem that plagues the Hoppus sig, for me anyways. Still, the pickups are pretty good (Basslines P and SCN J) and the black body with white binding looks great. Oh, and it has a Badass 3 bridge... never heard of those, seems to be a Badass with top-loading or through the body stringing. Interesting.
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's a black abbyss.

And it's just suffocating me.

/emo song

But I don't really like it. No tone knobs would be awful.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, I don't like it either. Never been a big fan of binding on Fenders, except Telecaster guitars.
  4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    what was the point of this when they have the Aerodyne?
  5. Not having a tone knob is not the only troubling issue... but rather the similarity between that and the Aerodyne.

If I wanted a PJ fender in "finger print magnet" black, I would buy an aerodyne. If I wanted to hotrod the pickups, I'd buy them.
  6. What did Bello ever do that was so good to deserve his own signature model?? I can think of many other great players who deserve the honor.
  7. He's got the 'thrax.

Seriously though, what did Hoppus do?

This incarnation of Fender is heavily rooted on market research and what would appeal to a wider demographic, for example, 'thrax and '182 fans.

If they were to lets say... oh forget it, give "obscure jazz bass player" a signature, would it sell half as well?

Before you respond, keep in mind that not everyone "talks bass" like us.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Frank Bello is one of my biggest influences right under Geddy Lee. IMO one of metals best bassists.

For me, I NEVER EVER use the passive tone on any active or passive bass so I'd feel right at home.

I may have to buy another Fender Bass. :)
  9. +1
  10. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    why now though? 16 years ago I would have considered it, back when we used to play medusa and Madhouse.
  11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I don't even know who Frank Bello is...
  12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  13. when will metal bassists stop hiding behind this pretentious "macho" mask and start using basses that highlight their true inner selves?

Let's EXPOSE the fact that there are more similarities between Judas Priest, Anthrax, and Josie and the Pussycats than most people are willing to admit.

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    How many of us here have bemoaned the Aerodyne's usage of basswood? ;)

Granted, I agree with you more than disagree - for all intents and purposes it's a non-contoured, hod-rodded pups and bridge version of the Aerodyne (and cheap to make with virtually no R&D, as I'd imagine most of the tooling is the same as the Aerodyne.) I think it'll fall into the "limited market signature" like the Steve Harris (We here loved 'em, I think the mass market didn't quite as much) or Victor Bailey rather then the "mass market signature" a la the Geddy Lee, Mike Dirnt, and Roscoe Becks.
  15. Mike

Sep 7, 2000

LOL! Haven't heard dat in years!!! :)
  16. the G&L SB-2 has no tone sounds great

i dont like it, the frank bellow that is
  17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Upgraded pickups, body wood, P bass neck shape, lightweight tunning keys, and slab body with arm contour, and no pesky tone control to get in the way. Its pretty different from the Aerodyne.

Personally, I would have dug it better if it had just a volume or on off switch.
  18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think you mean

:bassist: :D
  19. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    "She got hit by a bass..."

20. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't like it...not too great. The all black theme is just plain strange.