Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fender gear? Or did I just miss something?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Sep 11, 2002.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey, I haven't checked out Fender's site in awhile, but when I looked tonight I saw two new amps (1200 watt solid state and a 300 watt tube - very reminiscent of Sunn) and a 2x15 cab as well as a slant front 4x10 cab. Can anyone give me some more info? Specs (frequency response)? Approximate street price? When are they available for sale? Sorry if this has been beat to death and I just missed it - a quick look over the forum didn't produce anything though.

2. They are new, and I haven't seen any yet. Since Sunn is gone, it looks like they just changed the name and the box to Fender. I have Frontline Extra 2002 that has them in it, but it doesn't give any real specifics.

The Bassman 1200 has 2 12AX7's in the preamp, 3 button footswitch, 1200 watts and only weights 32 pounds, which is kind of cool.

The Bassman 300 head weighs 72 lbs.

It also says the ne 410 Pro SL cab has new cast frame driver with an aluminum flat wire voice coil, whatever that means. Looks like a step up for Fender, will have to try one out as soon as I see one to give a good judgement though.

jtbp

Edit: It says Ray Riendeay worked with Fender R&D in making the stuff.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    From what I've seen at the web page it's exactly the same amps as Sunn- just with a different label on it...
    BTW the Sunn homepage was online until recently, now it's gone, so it seems as they gave up the brand name Sunn and took over the products...

Matthias

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That cools. I was quite dissapointed when I found out Fender discontinued Sunn. I have an old pre-fender Sunn Beta sitting and my house and it's sweet. It has one of the tightest 15's I've ever heard.

Now Fender discontinueing DeArmond and transferring the line over to Squier is a different story. :mad:

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
  6. I just bought one of the last new Sunn 300Ts because I wanted the name on the amp. It's made by Fender and is now a Fender Bassman 300.

7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I picked up a Sunn 1200S at a pawn shop. It is a very good sounding amp and really loud. I bought it cheap and intended to sell it to make a few $$. I put some NOS USA made tubes in it and it sounds just too good to let go.

I'm a confirmed "gearhead" and use Demeter preamps and Stewart power amps. I'm really impressed with the 1200S and strongly urge anybody wanting a versatile and powerful head to check out the Fender version. It is identical except for the name.

Oh yeah, Musician's Friend still has some new Sunn 1200S's in stock for $909.

Chuck