1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Fender Jazz Active Signature Flea Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmon, Dec 4, 2018.

1. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.

Just caught this. Haven’t seen a post about it yet. So.....Discuss.....

Looks like a Jazz with a MM dropped in it. Best of both for Flea since historically he’s played both. I’d give it a try.

Ghastly and filwitheneff like this.
  2. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    mikewalker likes this.
  3. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Ernie Ball Music Man is bound to copy this idea.:ninja:

Jim Carr and bassdude51 like this.
  4. filwitheneff

filwitheneff

Feb 22, 2008
    SEMO
    I like it, especially that Inca Silver. I may have to snag one when they hit the market.

I am a little curious, though, about the 2-band eq. Why just two? On my Yamaha (my only active bass), the only control that usually moves is the mids (boosting). I know the older (and reissue) Stingrays had 2-bands, but I never understood why some players preferred the 2-band over the 3-band. Are these types of basses heavy in the mid-range, and therefore only have bass and treble to balance everything out? Or is it something else?

One way or another, I like the bass.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I like the bass. I like it a lot. I like Flea. That video is awful. Artsy fartsy bullpoop and gives you no idea what the bass sounds like.

Ghastly, bassdude51 and Soonerbldr like this.
  6. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    Agreed. As much as I love Flea and his whole Zen one with music and all its colors, the demo is colored with effects and whatnot. Doesn’t help much. Which means we’ll have to wait for a YouTube demo months down the road I guess. I’m hoping to get to demo one after the first of the year. With all the components it’s sounds like a good recipe. We shall see!

Gorn likes this.
  7. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I dunno. Am I the only one that thinks it looks, well,...... weird? Something seems so odd about that singular MM style pickup on a Jazz body........Nah, it's probably just me. I'm sure Fender will sell a bunch of 'em.

8. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    If I had to guess for him, he doesn’t need a lot of mids and really needs to boost highs and lows for slapping, so he is fine with a two band that just does those.

filwitheneff likes this.
  9. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    The 2 and 3 band stingrays are different beasts. It not just how the preamp operates but how it sounds. The 2 band eq models are a little more subdued and warmer sounding due to the preamp design. In the mid to late 80’s Ernie ball redesigned the preamp in the stingray and changed the tone to be more aggressive and spiky. So it’s a question of tone not just adjustability.

filwitheneff, mouthmw and leamdav like this.
  10. lostpoet2

lostpoet2

May 20, 2008
    So...i guess it’s a stingray with a jazz bass body. I like the concept, but I wish it had a 1.5” nut width.

11. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Too bad Leo Fender didn’t think of it. Oh, wait...:D

nomaj, jmon and 2cooltoolz like this.
  12. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    I really like this Flea video - very effective at getting across the vibe of music as a joyous mode of transcendence.

Perhaps I like the vid most of all because it is the subversive antithesis of the tasteful gent making tasteful tones on his tasteful coffee-table.

Taustin Powers likes this.
  13. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I’ve often wondered what drawing on ones face with a crayon sounds like.
    Now I know...

bassdude51 and ImpaledOnHi-Hat like this.
  14. With a 2 band you increase the mids by removing treble and bass and turning up the volume. It's fun actually, like a little tone sculpting mini game with the EQ and volume. It's much more natural and passive sounding than if you were to turn up the mids with EQ. Really satisfying when it locks in. Plus it prevents you from getting into the distracting arms race of having to raise the mids because you raised the treble and bass. I don't know about Fender's 2 band, but in the case of EBMM the 2 band sounds totally different from the 3 band, despite what the company officially claims.

mouthmw, filwitheneff and FingerDub like this.
  15. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Flea's been using this bass live for about 10 months.

Plenty of live vids online with him using this bass, if you want to see & hear more of it.

There's also already a couple of threads on it.

jmon likes this.
  16. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    Proud of you Fender.

Why's Flea dressed like a member of DEVO?

Ghastly and bassdude51 like this.
  17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I see what you're saying. You're appreciating it as poetry or art, and that's cool. As an advertisement for Flea's artistic rambling and drawing on his face like a toddler, it's great. But it's a terrible bass commercial. Still a cool bass though.

Ghastly and bassdude51 like this.
  18. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    In this case (and in the case of the original Stringray preamp), it’s boost only (Aguilar OBP-1), so there’s no way to boost midrange. I still do like the 2 band ‘Ray sound much more than the 3 though.

19. There's no way to boost midrange directly, but by backing off the bass and treble the natural midrange of the instrument will come through more. Even if it's boost only, it still achieves what you're trying to do. For the record though I don't think the EBMM 2 band truly is boost only. Having owned one for a number of years it seems to me like it's "boost mostly", with a small amount of cut. There's more cut available on the treble and less on the bass.

filwitheneff likes this.
  20. IReallyLoveFlea

IReallyLoveFlea

Oct 22, 2018
    Well, the first review is out, what do you guys think?! :)

electracoyote likes this.