1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New fender Jazz bass for a dummy newbe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dougazbass, May 18, 2011.

1. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    So I went out a bought a used bass. I don't kow how to play yet. I figured that it made sense to get a quality used bass. The add just said that it was a Fender Jazz bass 2006 and the guy wanted $475. That sounded like a deal to me. We went to a music store to try it out. Very nice of Milanos Music in Mesa, AZ to let me use one of thier amps!!
    I ended up paying $440. Turns out it is a 2006 Highway One. Never heard of a Highway One. But now I see that there are hundereds of posts here about them. :oops: Anyway...
    The bass has the truss rod adjustment down at the body.
    I think that this is refered to as the "foot" Is this correct for this bass? It has a matt black finish. What is/are greasewhatever electronics? Should this bass have that?
    Also, either the bridge pickup or it's pot doesn't work. If it needs a new pickup what would you replace it with?
    Thanks for any info...

2. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Circuits are quite simple. If you can follow a basic wiring diagram, you can bypass the pot etc to diagnose. If it is the pickup, it could be just a broken wire at the terminal, in which case you can unwind one loop to get some slack and resolder to terminal.

Get it patched up and you have a great bass there.