Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fender Jazz feature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danksalot, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I think the new MIA Fender Jazz Basses are coming with a built-in series/parallel switch. It's on the neck volume knob, but it's not a push/pull. It's actually a button on top of the knob. Have you guys seen these yet? Post a pic if you can find one.

I've been thinking about moding my Jazz with a series/parallel switch and this is a pretty slick looking way to do it.

2. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Here's some info I found on the Fender sites (US and Europe)

The world’s best-selling bass just got better! With the new S-1 switching system, you can get great J Bass® and P Bass® tones from one instrument. With the S-1 switch engaged, it switches the pickups from parallel to series giving the bass a fatter, beefier, almost humbucking sound similar to a P Bass guitar.

All of the new Fender guitars with S-1 Switch are to be manufactured at Fender's state-of-the-art facility in Corona, California.

These revolutionary new models will soon be hitting the stores, so look out for them and try the tone for yourself!

[​IMG]

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That photo's a Strat, though - not a bass!! :meh:

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This isn't exactly news, is it?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had a Strat in the mid 1980s, which had a coil-tap switch on it and it wasn't a new feature then!! ;)

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I rather meant it's some months old and it's been posted before.

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah well I knew that before you did. So there.

8. LOL!

having a Fender Jazz w\ the series\parallel switch in a stock bass is pretty sweet.....think it's gonna jack up the price?

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Indeed but whats wrong with that? If everything was posted only once then IMO there would be little discussion on this board.

I wanted to get a MIA jazz until I heard about this switch. I dont want one of those and if I did get one I would probably mod it back to the original design. :meh:

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Why would you want to remove the feature? It's not like it will affect sound when it's not being used.

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Good point monkee. Probably silly of me to say such a thing before I try one out... :rolleyes: :)

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Good! My work here is done.

[flys off]

;)