New Fender Jazz for live/recording.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Mar 6, 2005.

1. I've read a bit on here that the fender jazz produces a lot of hum with one pickup solo'd. How much hum is this and how is it preventable?

I like the Ptone and jazz neck... you can get fairly nice p tone of of a new S-1 capable jazz but I dont want to dump 1000 on one to find out it makes alot of noise when playing live shooting for that tone.
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    actually i think the new american ones come with noiseless coils in them. If not you can get the fender noiseless j pickups, thatll fix it.
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Some of that will depend on you. A lot of us who play Jazzes play them with both volumes wide open or at least at the same volume level. When you do that they become hum-canceling. Only when you don't have the volumes on the same level do they hum. If you run the pickups at differing volume levels the only solution is to run aftemarket pickups and a number of pickups builders offer hum-canceling Jazz pickups. Lindy Fralin might be the best in terms of keeping a vintage tone and canceling 60-cycle hum. Prices vary.
  4. Unless you are playing under fluorescent lights next to a computer monitor, you probably won't notice the hum. I use my solo neck pickup all the time on my Lakland Darryl Jones, and it is generally not noticeable. If the hum was bad, I don't think nearly as many people would play jazz basses as do today.
  5. I have a USA deluxe active jazz, and it has noiseless pups in should be fine. even though i dont really record, i've never ever noticed a problem with my jazz and hum.
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    R379 has it exactly right. I have an American Series Jazz with S-1, and I almost always play with the pickups in parallel (switch not engaged, standard Jazz mode) with the volume pots on full. This sounds awesome and avoids the hum, which I find intrusive if the pots are at different settings. (In my Jazz, the single coils hum far more than those in my Strat. Better shielding would probably help.) With the S-1 engaged, the two coils essentially become a series humbucker, so almost all the noise disappears. The high end pulls back, the low end beefs up, and the output increases a few db.

Fralin does indeed make excellent hum cancelling Jazz pickups, but the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz does the same thing, gets great reviews, and costs about half as much. Might be worth a try.