Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new fender jazz vs vintage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Apr 6, 2003.

1. New is obviously better

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. New is a little better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. They are very similar

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. New is a little less good

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. New ones suck when compared

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Are the new fender jazz basses obviously better, a little better, about the same, a little lacking, or do they suck compared to an early-mid 70's 4 bolt fender jazz.

2. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    if you want a new brite & shiney bass, one that is unused and clean,with brand spanking new fretts and electronics,then go with the newbie.
    if you want a bass that has a vintage vibe,worn in from years of gigging and holds a bit of history and personality in its sound then go for the classic
    it depends on what you are looking for, Me i want one of each please:rolleyes:

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There are good and bad specimen in either category.

You have to judge them individually. Having said that I tend to find both overpriced (at least on the German market). I'd go for a Marleaux J any second though.

4. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Played a HighWay One Jazz bass yesterday - amazing and the price was right. The bass is not flashy but has all the fundamentals down. Get one now before they know what they have got and put the price up.

My '73 that I took in to do a comparison is for sale!

I think Fender are making some improvements.
    T

5. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I bought an American string thru body fretless last year,I had to do nothing other than minor set-up to my taste.I've used it a number of times in the studio and live.Every Tech and engineer have commented on the exceptional growl and clarity.For $1300(Can.)w/case they're great.

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    every new one i've played recently has been remarkable.

better than 5 years ago at least.

i'm impressed.

f

7. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    no comparison.

8. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    No one of the 4 options for me.
    The point is all about the vintage you get to find and play:if it's a bad,or a normal vintage(no matter at the year) ,I'd pick a new one.
    But if it's one of the rare houge-sounding vintage,then a comparison with a new one would be quite ridicolous.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It's not that easy, unfortunately. I recently picked up a brand new American Series J and it's a great bass--sound, playability, etc. I had some late nineties American Standards that were so-so. I've owned early to mid sevenites J's that were logs and really sucked. I kept a 4-bolt '74 that is, without question, the best Fender Jazz I've ever seen/played/owned. Way too many variables to generalize as you've requested here.