1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Fender- Low output on E and A string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Mar 13, 2008.

1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I just picked up a Fender American Standard Jazz V and I'm having an unusual problem. When I solo the neck pickup, the output on the E and A string is almost non-existent. The B, D and G strings seem fine and all strings seem fine when using the bridge pickup soloed. Moving the pickup doesn't change anything. I've even tried new strings with no effect. Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

2. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Gonna bump this up in the hopes that someone answers this before I call Fender this morning.

3. if the strings don't make a diff...then it's an issue with the pickup, most likely...

try this...get a piece of steel...like a small screw driver or a metal ruler...see if you can feel more magnetic "pull" over the B-D-G strings vs. the E-A...

if you can, then your magnets are most-likely not properly magnetised = weak magnetic field = weak output...

if that's the case, then contact fender, for sure...I don't know how you got the bass, so I can't help you on who you need to contact to rectify the situation.

4. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    Because the slugs in the pickup are magnetized all at once AFTER the pickup is made, this is unlikely, but hey, anything is possible, since it is a weird problem. I say that that bass to an authorized service center ASAP.

5. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Probably a stupid comment, but did you try raising the pickup closer to the strings a bit?

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Are you heavily eq'ing to make the "B" sound good? I bring this up because I had the same issue with an '05 FMT J5. Once I backede the lowend off of it the "A,E" spoke beautifully. The "B" sounded like ars but the "E.A" were usable again.

7. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Yes. I moved it much closer than the Fender spec and it still didn't work. Plus, the B string works great, so I don't think it's a distance issue.

8. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Nope, ran it though my Shuttle 6.0 with the eq flat.

9. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Is it active? You know, the ol' battery checkeroo?

Assuming that is not the case, it seems like it might be a suspect pickup. Perhaps pop open the cavity and visually inspect the solder points?

If not, it's probably time for a service call...

10. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Nope, passive.

I work down the street from an authorized Fender service center, so I just took it down there. At first, the tech thought I had the pickup too low. After raising it, then testing the electronics, he has determined that it is a faulty pickup.

Now the wait for the replacement begins........

11. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    Wow, there's one for the books!

12. faulty pickup! I win! :hyper::hyper:

do I get a prize? ;)

it's strange...but you know, with magnetic materials, lots of things can happen...

another thing that can be tried is to have the pickup remagnetised...but, I'm not sure who could do that on your end...

13. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Fender is replacing the pickup for free, so I'll let them worry about what to do with the defective one. ;)