Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fender Marcus Miller V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El-Gato, Jan 21, 2003.

1. El-Gato

El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    Anyone know when this thing is gonna be released? This is definately gonna be a contender for my new 5-string when it comes out. Best lookin bass I've ever seen.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    saw it. played it, didnt plug it in, but i thought it was just ok, should be out soon- there was one at NAMM- its IS the look i love for the J basses so im having the same type bass made -- the one at NAMM ws too yellow for me - i think they are trying to make it look like a 30 year old bass-

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Saw Fender site about that too, tried 4-string version some time ago and I think it's the sweetest Fender Jazz out there nowadays.

Definetly on my list if I ever get the urge for Jazz five.

[​IMG]

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Fender MM 4 was probably the heaviest four string I've ever played. I wonder what this one weighs in at.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yep- heres the one at NAMM- i wish they wouldnt have done the block inlays so yellow- they disappear!! but it looks like a great bass- having said that, i think id still prefer a Joe Osborn 5- they feel great!! and my custom J5 should be cool , too- i hope, as i wait.
    [​IMG]

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What's with the bridge? I thought the High mass Badass bridge was a key component of the MM Jazz. ???

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    good observation there Philbiker.. dunno- since i decided on something else, i just gave it a glance over- seems there should be a badass bridge there,. if its Marcus-- i played an MM4 and to tell the truth, the Marcus tone eluded me, i get much closer on FMT's and Laklands ive tried- and even my F bass gets closer than i did withthe sig bass- .. but thats just me...so no flames, please!! ;)

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    yo adrian ( sorry you HAVE to be getting tored of hearing that)

quick question. i will be starting saving for m new fiver once stingraybaby makes it here. the osborns i have played here in town have absolutely NO bottom end. is this a bad batch or is that the reason everyone is goin the j retro route. i would use it with my sadowsky pre anyway but it kinda bothered me seing as i KNEW i was gonna die for this bass. i seem to adapted the gard motto "no b no me!" also at the same place the laklands sounded bad as well. the 55 01s sounded WAY better than the 55-02. seeing how my lakland experience stops there i was hoping that they just had them set up weird. the midrange was nothing like my music man and i could not get it NOT to sound boxy. i ran it through an eden( which i dont like anyway) an ampeg AND an swr.

sorry to hijack the thread but i am desperate!:D

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Stingray- the Osborns are passive- if you are used to hearing active basses, i can see how a passive one will leave you wanting... yuo certainly cant turn up the bass- there is only one tone knob.. but some people CRAVE that- i will be using a j retro on my custom j5 because i need all that heavy tone- i will be using a deluxe j retro because i want the option of passive with a tonne control- but i have to wait- j retros are back ordered right now...
    the 55-01 is a more aggressive bass than teh 55-02- as loud of not louder and very present and biting tone- some peopel actually prefer it- i prefer the versatility of the pickup configuration on the 55-02 -
    i just sold another 55-02 and the tone was all there!! you know, theres always a chance the batteries could be lo on some of those basses-
    anyways, for what its worth-0 everyone is different, but i cant see anyone saying these 55-02 i have tried had no tone.. maybe not everyones tone, but tone is there!!- im sorry you had a bad experience withthem- i wish i could hear them to see whats wrong..:confused:

10. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    55-02 got tone to spare!

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I know that these are going to sound like stupid questions?....

Doesn't Marcus' actual bass have electronics modified by Roger Sadowsky? (nino, any assistance here)

Did Fender take that preamp into consideration when building the MM4?

Does Marcus play 5 string Fenders? I know he has a Fodera or two.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i may be wrong. but Marcus bass has a Sadowsky setup- the bass itself sports Bartolini electronics. and as far as i know- Marcus has a ton of basses, but the J 4 is his staple...
    i dont know how much Fender took into consideration, but i see the 5 at least has no bart pre or badass bridge.... hmmmmm...

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    adrian,

Thanks for filling me in on that.... Did you get to play any of them while you were there?

Cool website you have...

j

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    j- , thanks!!-
    i sat and played the Marcus 5 unplugged- it felt ok- couldve been set up a little better-
    honestly- i think the FMT does marcus better than the marcus does- but thats just me-
    be the way- lisyenn to Brad- he says he could be wrong, but he never is :rolleyes: :D

16. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Doncha just hate that:D

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    adrian & Brad....

Thanks for the reply... I was mixed up on what the spec on Marcus' actual bass... How far in both of your opinions is the Fender production MM4 & MM5 from his actual bass?.... I know another stupid "?"

18. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    If you really wanted the Marucs's bass...just buy the Sadowsky Tokyo MM. I think that's as close as it gets!!

I think the Sadowsky neck is even better than the old Fender necks.
    Peace,
    H

[​IMG]

19. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Hman

Sadowsky Tokyo MM... Man that's a beauty! I heard that the cat in Tokyo was the last owner of Atelier Z, prior to selling it to someone else. is that true?

Are these basses CNC'd? What's the spec's on the electronics?

How Sadowsky are they?

20. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    If is not 100%...... is very close to it!!!

Yup, that's the Sodowsky cat.

Antoher pic for you

[​IMG]