1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Fender MIM Classic Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by awilkie84, Mar 28, 2013.

1. So...I heard from a little birdy that Fender's revamping the Classic series guitars/basses.

Of particular interest to me was the mentioning of the 50's Classic P-bass.

Maple Neck/Fretboard
    Annodized Gold pickguard
    NITRO LACQUER BODY & NECK a la Henry Ford (comes in any colour you want, as long as it's black)
    And...a tweed hardshell case!
    Street price - $899.99!!!!!!

And here I was about to bite the bullet on the current Classic 50's P!

2. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    any other information? revamped 60s and 70s jazzes? any new additions? Any new guitars?

3. I didn't ask about the other models, because I'm really only interested in the 50's P bass.
    This info was direct from a Fender rep, though.
    I'm guessing it may be a first launch, followed by others kind of thing.

4. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Wow! I recently let my treasured '50s Precision go in part because of the poly finish. I picked up a '57 AVRI as its replacement, so would not be in the market at the moment. But that MIM '50s was a sweet player and very light. With a nitro finish and tweed case, all I can say is rock on! :bassist:

Wonder what they'll do with the '70s??? And I bet there will be a '60s funk machine slotted in there too. Sort of an upscale MIM version of the discontinued AVRI series...? The Ensenada factory has definitely proven its mettle. And the AVS series has moved waaay up on pricing. :scowl:

5. Essentially, I think this would be a Non-roadworn Roadworn and this probably means we'll see a J model, too.

I'm keen.

6. I think you're right.

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm all over the J if it has the nitro finish.

8. Kunekune

Kunekune

May 7, 2012
    Sounds like they've realised that the poly finish on the 50s RI
    MIM Ps was the wrong way to go.. The poly finish makes no
    sense at all. Why just black?? Surely these would be worth
    bringing out in 3 or 4 colours, as they would be hugely popular
    in nitro

I just bought a RW P neck.. Was thinking about going for the
    current 50s RI MIM P neck, but the poly was what put me off..

Why the heck did poly become the industry standard for necks,
    anyway?? Cheaper? Harder wearing? Conspiracy to create more
    blisters?? Haha.

9. The rep was saying that the reason for 1 colour is that Nitro needs an incredibly clean production area to produce a good finish. On a Road Worn, it didn't really matter if there were minor imperfections. On a pristine model, it does. To offer multiple colours would involve having multiple paint booths set up for that colour of nitro only. It's a cost savings thing.

As for poly vs nitro. Poly isn't as harsh to produce, can be cheaper. It lasts longer without wearing, too.

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I'd love it if my Classic '50s had lacquer instead of the poly. I love the bass, but the feel of the finish led me to buy a new AV '57 a couple of years ago. I still gig the Classic, but put me on a bandstand in 104F Fourth of July heat (as happened to me one year) and I can hardly hold onto the bass. Bravo to Fender: I won't be surprised if other colors are offered once they get some experience with the nitro in Ensenada.

11. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    They've already got experience with 2T Sunburst and Fiesta Red down there... Which is another reason that black as the single choice doesn't make sense... They're already currently spraying those colors (F Red, Black, and Brown as well as the vintage tint clear for the necks) for the Road Worn series, so it's not like they'd need to set up additional painting booths to do those for a Classic '50s run for nitro.

Wow.. I wonder if this rep has seen some of the basses that members at TB have run into in the stores... There's enough out there with 'minor' imperfections that apparently got past QC.

A nitro Classic '50s in white blonde or Mary Kay white would be extremely tempting for me. Especially if the neck has the feel that my Road Worn does...

12. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    Besides, didn't they finish the Highways (1/One) in Nitro down there and send them back up to Corona for assembly?

13. Minor imperfections in the RW series are expected and accepted. That's why they got past QC.

Once they get more experience shooting full coat Nitro & have the extra bays set up for the other colours, I think you'll see more come.

14. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    Actually, I was talking about the experience people were having with Flaws in both Poly and Nitro basses from both the American and Mexican lines... :p

15. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    wasnt the last new guitar from Fender in 1960?...:D

:bag:

16. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Very interesting... I'll be keeping an eye out for more info

17. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    Not if you count the Pawn Shop series. :smug:

18. Kunekune

Kunekune

May 7, 2012
    Thanks for the info. Lots of knowledge on here. How do you all learn about all the different manufacturing plants?? Impressive! Nitro due for a big comeback?

19. I only know what I gathered from talking to the rep for the better part of 1/2 an hour while playing the current 70s P at my local L&M. The rep was in town for a workshop and saw me playing it. Came up to talk to me about the bass. I mentioned that I was more inclined to order a Classic 50's P, and he said "How soon?"

I told him there was no real rush, and that's when he mentioned the revamped 50s being announced this Monday. He also mentioned that Fender's really trying to improve the perception of the MIM instruments. We all know how most people believe them to be inferior to the MIAs, but he doesn't believe that. MANY touring players with big name bands take MIMs. I can't remember the name of the player, but my bass tech knew who he was...tours ONLY using the 50s P.

I was ready to drop the cash on the existing 50s P, but...Now I have to come up with another $150. lol!

20. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    Fender will be making more Precision and Jazz basses. OK then.