1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Fender Mustang PJ Black EB Limited Edition! And GAS for all!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave84, Sep 29, 2019.

1. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    [​IMG] Hello everyone, signs for all lovers of the legendary Mustang this super-limited edition of the PJ Mustang total black, with matched headstock, black hardware and ebony fretboard. The only store that should be available is the bax shop, a European store. I took it and it should arrive on Wednesday !!

Move if you want there are only 5 left!!!

Fender FSR Mustang Bass PJ Black EB limited edition

Attached Files:

Vinny_G, covermego and Dr. Cheese like this.
  2. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Well, did you receive it yet? I saw it on Guitar Center's site on sale and bought one. This was 2 days ago and now they show as out of stock. I'm glad I pulled the trigger when I did!
    I hope your expectations are beyond what you expected!
    I too am looking forward to receiving mine. I am half tempted to install an old school pickguard with an original Mustang bass pickup, but I guess I should wait a while. Like my dad used to tell me, "Play with your new toy for a while before you tear it apart!".... LOL.

Snibborwocky likes this.
  3. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    guitar center? It seems strange to me, I knew that only bax shop has it!

however this is mine!

two covers with pick and pj configuration and the other with the fingers and the only split coil

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Pretty cool, but why not a black control plate?

5. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Yeah, I was surprised that only GC and Musiciansfriend has these. Glad I got mine when I did. I absolutely love the Ebony fretboard. I wouldn't have given it a second look if it was Pau Ferro or Indian Laurel, lol.
    Very nice cover. The second song, "Take Me Out", was blocked in my country, so I couldn't watch you play that one. That bass is a beauty! I am supposed to have mine in 2 more days.
    And, like zombywoof5050 mentioned, it seems like it would have a black control plate. I'll see if I can find one or possibly wrap one in black vinyl. Thanks, again, for the reply!

6. After weeks and weeks of battling should I?/shouldn't I?, I just ordered one yesterday and will chalk it up to an early Xmas present to myself. Can't wait to tear open the box and start playing it. I can't remember the last time I was so excited about NBD. This bass has been haunting me since seeing it.

7. Conrad romeo

Conrad romeo

Jun 17, 2018

8. My Mustang arrived 2 days early apparently. I wasn't expecting it until Friday but I think FedEx was like, hey it's here at the distribution center so let's just deliver it before Thanksgiving and not let it sit around for 2 days. Happy early Xmas present to me. Gobble gobble. :bassist:

mustang-bass-ebony-01.jpg

Doctor Morbius, redstrand and 123Nil like this.
  9. 123Nil

123Nil

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    Got to play one today..in GC.. Loved it!!! So much better than the other MIM Mustangs

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I bought mine at Guitar Center a couple of weeks ago for the Musician's Friend sale rice using price matching. I'm very impressed with it's tone and playability. As subjective as it is, I find it to be one of the best sounding solidbody basses I've ever played if not the best.

123Nil likes this.
  11. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    I agree with you. Sounds great, aesthetically it is wonderful and very well built. Over the years it could also acquire a lot of value, it will be very sought after and difficult to find used, considering that this is the rarest and most particular Mustang PJ ever made by Fender and probably also the most cared for and that sounds best of all!

123Nil likes this.
  12. 123Nil

123Nil

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    I agree 100%.. I thought ..it was just gonna be another MIM Mustang..Everything about the Ebony Mustang.. Blows the others away!!! The P sound is just Awesome.. Think I'm going back later today..and buying one.. Could not put it down!!! Great job Fender !! I love it

13. Does anyone know what the original strings are? I am struggling to find the spec in any of the product pages online.

I'm guessing they are Fender USA .045-.105 because that is what I see on the other recent mustangs.

14. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    I confirm that the strings are the Fender

midfieldgeneral likes this.
  15. Thanks Dave - much appreciated.

16. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    How do you feel with this total black Mustang? After six months I can say that it is one of the best Fender basses I have had! I haven't changed anything, it sounds great and also offers me a great performance on stage ... I love it!

123Nil and midfieldgeneral like this.
  17. Mixed feelings.

The neck was a little wonky, so I had to re-seat that and it is still not perfect. I changed the bridge for a hipshot high mass bridge. On that bridge you can nudge the strings sideways a little for fine tuning of string placing. That helped with the G string. But then I made a dumb mistake. Whilst switching the bridge I decided to switch out the strings as well and they are proving to be a real ****** to setup. I'm pretty sure the nut is cut too deep for them. And the old strings were thrown away by mistake.

I have just put in an order for some new fender 045-.105's and for the heck of it, some labella 760FS-S which are also 045-.105 (and short scale length)... and I ordered a new nut just in case [Graphtech Black TUSQ XL Fender P-Bass 4 String Nut: PT-1204-00].

So.... my frustration is partly on Fender for the wonky neck, and partly on me for the strings. It IS a really nice bass, and I like it but I have not really had a chance to enjoy it yet.

For comparison, I have two other basses. A Fender Deluxe Active Precision Bass. It has an 18v active EQ which I really like. It is just a great bass. The other bass is an Ibanez SRH500 which is fretless [and mainly for playing Yellow Ledbetter].

The Mustang is certainly the easiest to play and I enjoyed playing it. I hope I can play it MUCH more in future. It has the potential to be my number one bass. The looks are killer and it feels great. The P pickup really surprised me with how good it sounded. I never really bothered with the J pickup, and don't on my other PJ either.

I'm a member of the facebook Fender Mustang Bass Group, and if I can get this bass 100% then I may be a total convert to short scale in a few months time.

18. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    I'm sorry for the problems you had, mine out of the box was already perfect and I didn't really have to fix anything. I also used it to make some videos on my youtube channel which have helped many to purchase this model. Now I often alternate it with my main bass which is a Tribe SF4 scale 34, I have no problems making the change from scale 30 to scale 34 or vice versa, I adapt easily, and this allows me to be able to play the Mustang for a long time without worrying to get used to it too well and no longer be able to play well with standard scale bass! In addition, I take full advantage of the versatility of this Mustang, the split coil is definitely the strength of this bass but I also love the PJ configuration with that characteristic growl that drives me crazy. A little less incisive is instead the use only of the single coil, even if sometimes I happen to use it.

midfieldgeneral likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021