1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New fender p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shnigglebass, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Shnigglebass

Shnigglebass

Feb 23, 2013
    Hello! I just procured a new MIM fender p bass used. And as I tried to play some slap riffs it sounded really bad so I tried some different settings on my amp and it still sounded bad. So the question is is if just the pickups or do I just need new strings because they are pretty grimy. Thanks for any information you guys can give me.

2. What do you mean by "it sounds bad"? Can you be more specific? Does it sound good when you slap on other basses? If no, then practice slapping ;), and if yes, maybe use your bass-that-sounds-good-for-slap for slap, and use the P bass for finger/pick style?

I recommend you always put on a fresh set of strings and do a full setup whenever you buy a new-to-you instrument. Definitely do that first before you judge the bass.

Be patient. It will take time for you to adjust to the new bass. What type of bass did you switch from?

3. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    P-bass slap:

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear....0.185.1127.0j7.7.0...0.0...1ac.1.9bLbp-gUINg

4. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    You just met that bass and you're slapping it already? Tsk, tsk

5. Shnigglebass

Shnigglebass

Feb 23, 2013
    Lol sorry I just came from a schecter stiletto extreme-5 and by bad I meant I it sounds really really flat on the D string

6. My first thought in all of these kind of situations is get new strings, then, if necessary,get a proper setup.

7. Exactly. All things being equal, new strings can make the biggest difference in sound next to a different amp.

8. Shnigglebass

Shnigglebass

Feb 23, 2013
    Alright thanks guys I'm gonna try to get some strings soon.

9. Turn the tuner slightly until the D string is no longer flat.