1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Fender Pro Series P as second bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AntiCharmQuark, Jan 29, 2017.

1. AntiCharmQuark

AntiCharmQuark

Jun 9, 2016
    So I saw the Antique Olive P bass and kind of fell in love. Right now my main bass is a Rickenbacker 4003, which is great for some of the indie rock and punk sort of stuff I play, but I have been thinking about a P bass for some time to fill that more classic rock tone, and get something a bit fuller and fatter than the Ric.

That said, I would like to expand more into Jazz and Funk, where the Ric seems to fall pretty flat. Is a P Bass versatile enough to play a classic walking bass line and also a cool slap line without changing strings? I know a J bass is usually preferred for these sorts of things, but I feel like getting another bass with 2 single coils would have too much tone overlap, and if I'm going to spend a fair amount of money, I want to get something quite different.

Just looking for opinions/input.

2. ((KamiKaZe))

((KamiKaZe))

Aug 5, 2010
    if you buy it i can predict that your Rick's going to be your back up bass

wncBass and nonohmic like this.
  3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Have you played a P? I love mine but I don't use it for jazz or slap, don't care for that tone in those settings. Also, I don't think a jazz and Ric overlap very much at all.