Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new fender question #11

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    here is another of my new fender questions. are you guys getting sick of these yet?

like i said before i've been playing on a stingray for 7 years and that's all i know.

am i crazy or is my g and fretted g string much louder than the other strings. it seems dispaportionatly :)hmm: ) louder than the others. my e and a sound kinda dead compared to the g and d.

anyone use ernie ball strings on their jazz? that's what i use on my stingray i think they feel great more than anything.

2. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    american fender jazz bass is what i have.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you are using the original Fender bass strings, then cut em off right now and get a new set of strings. My personal favorites are DR and Thomastik-Infeld. I have TI jazz rounds on two of my basses and DR hi-beams on another. TI jazz flats are also an excellent choice if you prefer flats.

That said. It might not be the strings at fault. Your pickup heights might need to be adjusted. Try dropping the G side of your pups or raising the E side. Shouldn't take too much of a change to get a noticeable difference.

BTW, I would still change the strings as well and do a full set up on the bass. Have a guitar tech do it if you aren't comfortable doing that.

4. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI

5. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    i know that g strings are supposedly abnormally quiet on stingrays, and in my experience they are a little more subdued. so maybe you've just gotten used to that and the 'normal' passive fender sound just sounds louder?