1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Fender Standard Telecaster Precision - hard to play

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tothemax, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Just received a Fender Standard Telecaster Precision Limited edition (MIM) from MF yesterday. I'm transitioning from my short scale Franken-bass I've been playing for about 5 years. I've always loved the look of the 50's P-Bass (Tele body and headstock - B.Blonde). Played about a half hour last night and fingers are sore, just out of the box - no real setup yet. Setup was not bad, frets clean, I was really surprised how nice it was. Like I said I love the look, but after my broke in SS there is a bit of transition. I wasn't expecting the size of the C-shape neck, was fatter than expected - but silky smooth finish. I'm going to take it to practice tonight and switch off between basses. I'm really torn, I love the look but don't want to keep a bass that is hard to play. Any suggestions to improve the feel? I'm thinking maybe going to lighter strings while I'm getting used to it (with a setup). The heavier string tension was a change as well (dang SS).
    I'm also seeing another trade-off with the Tele style body, no belly cut and a harder edge by my wrist. Just trying to decide if it's something that I'll grow into or maybe I should send it back and keep shopping. I'm thinking I should have one full scale bass. I realize its a personal choice, but wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Unfortunately only MF had this special so there was no way to try it first.

saabfender likes this.
  2. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I'd love to see pictures!!

I think I would have a tough time with the non-contoured body as well, I would want a '54-'57 style body.

3. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Whoops - I put 'er in the Google and saw it. Very nice! I would love a splt coil P bass with a tele headstock. According to specs, the neck is a standard profile and width Precision neck, same as the Player series P basses. I think that part will just come for you with practice - the lack of belly cut, I could see me having a problem with, as I *do* have a belly. But it looks great!! Butterscotch would look badass with a black pickguard.

Try the Strings forum to see what strings might give you a lower tension. I play Chromes so I'm no use to you there, they're like bridge cables.

4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd bet the issues you mention will always be a problem, for a std. scale you'd probably luv the sweet n thin neck on these cool lookers Peavey Zodiac Bass | eBay

5. Actually this bass is a keeper, I played for about 2.5 hours tonight at practice and my fingers are a little sore but halfway into the 1st song it was fine. Brought my SS with me, never even played it. With a setup it will be great, no need to go to lighter strings. No issues with the edge on the body, I may want to wear a sweat band which will pad that area. At some point maybe add a thumb rest on the top. Anyway, very pleased with my impulse purchase. Twice now I've seen limited edition Tele style basses marketed, and when they're gone you don't see them anymore new or used (happened with the Squier VM Tele bass). With the 15% off fall deal the price was right - so I took a chance. I hate purchasing gear that I can't see physically, even if it's just the same model. It's a sweet bass, was pretty decent playing it tonight with the setup that came out of the box. Dialed in it should be a creampuff...

Appreciate the feedback

Here's the MF link: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-standard-telecaster-precision-bass-limited-edition?pdpSearchTerm=fender standard telecaster

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  6. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    With a good set up your Tele P shouldn't be any harder on your fingers than your SS Bass. I play both.
    I ordered one open box for $ 515 that is scheduled to be here Tuesday. I'm very excited. I've been saving up for a Real Fender Mike Dirnt P(I have 2 Squiers versions) but, I just couldn't pass this deal up.
    Good luck with yours. :bassist:
    **Peace**
    Eddie

7. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Got me one, open box $515 and now she's up-graded ! Added a Mike Dirnt Loaded Pickguard w/ the 59 Custom Shop Pickup. No wonder the stock pickup wasn't cutting the mustard. It was cheaply made w/ ceramic bar magnets glued to the back and only wound to 4.9 K. The 59 CS is wound to a warm 10.85 K. The Black Pickguard looks much better to me. Also added a Babicz Bridge. This is a Bad-Ass $700 Fender Tele Bass !
    Tele9. Tele10.

Slapthatplank, Oatis, HD007 and 3 others like this.
  8. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    Wow, what a beauty!!! You should ashamed of stealing it at that price.LOL Ya, I am jealous. I am still looking for a Squier version CV 50’s in Butterscotch.

EdBo likes this.
  9. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Historically these particular basses require a little “training”- kind of like a puppy. If you’ll forward it to me, I’ll be glad to work out the kinks for ya. .
    Glad you’re getting a handle on it- seriously. Have fun. Nice looking bass.

EdBo likes this.
  10. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I own and play many different types of basses (for many years), ss, full scale, different neck profiles and what it comes down to is focusing on/developing your technique both right and left hands. If your technique is 'neutral'/correct - you can adapt it to any bass. Since you have developed your starting technique the last five years on one (ss) bass, it is 'moulded' to that bass. You can break/correct bad habits once you are aware of them as you haven't been playing for very long. To help there are tutorials on line that can help you understand proper technique. If you are familiar with "Scotts Bass Lessons" - study his posture holding his basses and his left and right hands. First off you'll notice how relaxed he plays with a super light touch (left hand). His right wrist isn't bent in a unnatural position - which causes problems for many players because of less than ideal technique/posture/positioning. The length of your fingers is an issue even with good technique so you'll need to determine which scale works best for you. (30", 32", 34") If ss or med scale works best - there's no reason to beat yourself up attempting to play a 34" scale bass. The goal is to develop good technique and enjoy playing first - and choosing which bass makes that possible is key to that goal. Hope this helps.

EdBo likes this.
  11. Man, looks great - a buddy of mine said replacing the pickup will give it that great punch tone. You're absolutely right - it was real score. Will probably follow your lead on the upgrades. Mine is definitely a keeper.

12. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    If you play in the first position a lot and your fingers get sore I'd be dollars to doughnuts that the nut slots are too high. It can make a HUGE difference when you have the nut slots cut to the right height.

I recently build a Warmoth bass and the neck was perfect, but the nut needed to be cut down a bit. Took it over to Bluesman Vintage Guitars and John cut it down in about 5 minutes. Didn't even charge me.

Bass plays like butter now.

13. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

These are great looking instruments. I’ve visited the MF page link above several times since I saw it last month. @EdBo, I dig your mods! @tothemax any pics of your Tele P?

14. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    That 59 Custom shop pickup is AMAZING ! Stratosphere is currently out of the loaded pickguards today. The had one on ebay a few days ago. Did you get it ? LOL
    They sell them on ebay and reverb, cross-posted I assume.
    Good luck

15. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Did the final Mod last night. Drilled the 5 screw Babicz to make it string through. Drilled the body and added string ferules. I really Love this Bass !!!
    Tele18. Tele19.
    The Crew
    Tele20.