Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fender Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, Aug 12, 2001.

1. I've got a US STD Precision and an American series Jazz and on both of them when new the outer two layers of the E string stop short of the bridge saddle. So effectively the part of the E string that passes over the bridge is much smaller than most of the length of the string.

I've never seen or heard of this before. At first I thought the string was defective, but not on both basses. Can someone explain this?

Also what strings are fitted to new Fenders. Are they Fender's own strings, and they appear to be nickel. Is this right?

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    That is known as a taperwound string. The idea is to give a better witness point on the bridge saddle for the fat strings. Yes, they are Fender strings. You can go to the website and find out about your basses and strings.

http://www.fender.com/

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I believe that many Fender basses come with the 7250 nickel roundwound strings. I like them personally.

4. Thanks for your post. I've had a look on the Fender site and those do look like the ones.

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The 7250's do not have a taperwound E string.

Your strings are most likely 8250's.

6. the fender taperwound strings also come in diffrent lengths also. One size is for string thru the body bridges and the other size is for regular bridges. I ordered some of these for my fender five string, and had to return because they where to long for my bridge.