New Fender Telebass--mystery pickup solved?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mastermold, Oct 26, 2011.

1. NachoConde

NachoConde

May 22, 2010
    Wow, that seems like a good deal on price too considering i paid £350 for my MIM jazz (before the price increased) and this is only £375. Do you know where these basses are made?

2. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    China.

3. Yeah China, but given the quality of their recent Squiers they are probably pretty good instruments. Price may be a bit high though for what may end up being a glorified Squier CV but I'm going to withhold judgment until I actually get to play one.

4. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    Standard P-bass pickups /are/ humbuckers. So it's still a possibility.

5. Body contours are for pussies.

:bag:

6. Isn't there a Squire precision bass that comes with one of that pickup?

That butterscotch blonde color is the same as the 60th anniversary Precision bass..

which is making me so desperately want to have it in my hands.

7. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  8. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    lolz. Might be a great bass, but that cracked me up. as did the comment regarding body contours...

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    One bad pickup + another one just like it = ???

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i seriously doubt it. a p bass pickup has double magnets for each string and the bass humbucker has a single screw pole piece. it looks like the standard (imported) 70's telecaster bass humbucking pickup to me.

11. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    mc[SUP]2[/SUP] +/- 3dB

Your old 51 says hi.

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Humbuckers that look like the single humbucker that came in late Telebasses. If they sound like that humbucker you'll have twice as much mud and indistinct tone. Sorry just saying.

It was a stab at getting some Gibson business. Wasn't even close to Gibsons humbucking. Yes the standard P-bass pickup is a humbucking. The hum canceling without the mud.

Yet, they could be a new design. If it sings in your hands then own it. Who am I to say!??

13. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yeah, I doubt it too. I was just saying that "humbucking" with chrome covers doesn't eliminate the possibility.

14. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Not necessarily. I would think the position of the original pickup so close to the neck might contribute somewhat to the supposed muddiness. I'm thinking the extra pickup so close to the bridge might help offset that somewhat.

15. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I think the "mud" thing is partly due to where that particular pickup is traditionally positioned. I'd be curious to hear what one at the bridge sounds like.

16. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Ha ha, funny, C. Linton, we had the exact same thought less than a minute apart!

17. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Take a good look at the Sweetwater picture,, does it look like the bridge pickup is crooked and offset a bit? :eyebrow:

18. Actually, yes - Well spotted, it does. Could just be the camera though.. Or a naff model.

19. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    If they're the same pickups used in the Squier VM Precision TB, they'll be full humbuckers, not just split coils. The other four slugs are hidden on top, but adjustable from the back.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021