1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Fender Telecaster "modern player" Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigsnaketex, Jan 13, 2012.

1. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    Has anyone had the opportunity to play the new Fender Telecaster Modern Player Bass yet??

I'd be very interested to see how you feel those humbuckers sound!

I'm a J-Bass kind of guy and like my single coils.....but must admit to the world that I have a weakness for tele's (I have 6 of them in guitar form - even a cool 12-string!)

Plus, I've got G.A.S. real bad (like I'm sure that most of you do as well)

Since they aren't very expensive, I wouldn't mind having one of the tele basses...........but not if they're mushy sounding!

Thanks in advance!!

2. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
  3. I see this as my "road" Bass in a couple of months.

[​IMG]

4. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    Wow.........with a p-bass pup squeezed in betwixt those two ginormous humbuckers!!

Very cool

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Personally, it should get a third HB in the middle.

6. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I got mine today, spent about one hour playing through my home amp (Pignose 30). The neck is only slightly deeper than my CS NOS '59 P or Roadworn P. Somewhere in the neighborhood of my now departed Gibson Les Paul Deluxe 5. Certainly not as chunky as my '76 P or the Warwick Fortress 4 I had. It's very comfortable and feels like home to me. Picture the neck on a '66 J only wider (definitely more comfortable than the Jazz (again to me)).

I'm VERY impressed with this bass in tone variation, fit, and finish. I have only 2 nits, 1, it is on the heavy side, close to 10 1/4 lbs, and 2, the bridge PUP poles aren't directly under the strings. It even came with good strings, D'addario XLs. Reliefis just where I like it, on the low side.

All in all, a great bass. I'll expand further in a seperate thread after practice next week when I play it through a real rig. But I'll be glad to answer any questions here. BTW, it also has the one-piece neck I love:hyper:

7. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    Thanks for an actual review.....I'm very interested in the tone of the buckers!

8. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    I finally played one, and bought one......I liked it!!

I don't kid myself by thinking it's a top end bass.......but for the money, I think Fender did justice to an icon. Key words......."for the money"!!

I love the neck and the weight is not horrible although it did get heavy on my shoulder somewhere near the end of the first set!!

And I will replace the bridge, the nut and probably the jack with something a little more expensive. I may even put a bridge cover on it!!

It's always a journey with a new instrument and I'm not sure we ever get one right where we see it in our heads..........but for $599, this thing has subdued my GAS for a few weeks anyway!!

9. I've never understood Fenders naming system.
    How can they call it a Telecaster Bass, when the only thing it has in commom with a Telecaster Guitar is the headstock shape, and maybe a couple of other specs? Other than that, they look completely different.
    JMO, of course.
    I think if the body was shaped the same, or similar, to a Telecaster guitar, it would "earn" the name. Would also give them something to compete with the "SG" look-alike crowd that uses the same body shape.

I suppose, the extra length of the upper horn is there to prevent neck dive. :atoz:

Attached Files:

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I'm really feeling one of these with three humbuckers.

11. In 1968 when Fender desided to bring back the original single coil p bass they wanted to have a companion bass for the Tele guitar since they alerady had a current p-bass design, they couldn't really call it a p-bass.

12. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    Ayce, without that upper horn.......you'd have a bloodly lip by the headstock hitting you in the face when you turned around to yell at the drummer!!

And to answer your first question.......they call it a telecaster bass so folks like me that have 6 telecaster guitars will buy one!!

13. I suppose this is true.
    I guess it's like when Dodge brought back the Superbee as a truck. Just a marketing thing.

If I could afford to, I suppose I could buy one, then get out the jig saw and "fix" it. LOL