Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fender USA Dlx. Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lorenzini, May 12, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I just pulled the trigger on a brand new teal USA-made Deluxe Jazz Ver off of eBay. Let me know if this link works...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64400&item=7322086129&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

My father had one but SOLD it to a fellow TB member and I've been itching to get one.. So I just did a random search and found this for $750 on the 'bay.

Whaddaya think? Smart buy
    Either way I decided to purchase because at this price I don't even think I can go wrong :cool:

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Rockin' bass. Looks great for its age.

I did the same thing, snagged a J Dlx... now it's my main bass.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Awesome color! Congrats. :)

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks!
    I LOVE these basses. I also love the string spacing..and the tone..and the fretboard...and AND AND *thunk*

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Guys, I don't know. I'm worried about one thing: the pole pieces... There's only 1 per string. Does anyone have any insight on why there is only 1 piece per string?
    Is it the older model? Or a lower grade? I was wondering if the MIM Jazz Deluxes are only 1 pole per string, or if it just depends on the year.
    At the price I bought it, I'm willing to replace the pickups, but not necessarily the entire preamp.
    Also, that DOES say Made in USA, right? I can barely make it out but it seems to me that is what it says.

Please advise! :hyper:

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Judging from the tuners, I'd say its around 1998 or so. I may
    be off by a few years either way. Hows the B string? The
    only problem I ever saw, was that some of the older am dlx V's had a sloppy B. It a geat looking bass. The older ones
    also had the single pole pickups.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Okay good! Thanks for reassuring me.. I mean, I can see it says "Made in USA" so it makes sense.

Any other comments?

8. Yeah it's a late 90s MIA Deluxe. They had the 1 pole per string pickups. I've got one right here, very cool bass! Overall the sound is your usual Jazz tone, a bit hotter, with no noise. You may want to replace the pickups for a more vintage tone as the older pickups tend to have a hi-fi, active sound. Still sounds great though, it's more of a preference thing.

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Sounds cool :) Just as long as it's a legit American Deluxe, I'm willing to replace the pickups.

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Those pickups might workout well, when you get it, we'll get together and compare basses. Mine's got the Nordstrands, good, but different. Very bright. Your back in the Fender dude! What did you do with your G&L?

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I don't have much insight on the old pickups, other than the fact that they were replaced by the "Noiseless" and later the "Sumarium Cobalt (I think)". The SC models on the new ones, I'd have to give them a good sound rating, but aren't as noiseless as they could be. I haven't played the Noiseless in a while and I forgot their bag, but the Single Pole were always nice, Am Dlx or MIM dlx.

The Floppy B problem has been solved by newer designs incorporating old ideas: String Trees are good. They increase the "over nut" tension, bringing the twang to the B. If I were going to buy an older model (Actually, I am), I'd assess the B tone first. If it flops, I'd try a set of Taper Wound strings first (Labella, Ken Smith), then attach an additional tree as needed.

And +1, that is 100% US Fender, just older model. The Serial number tells the year... for example "DN876543" is a 1998, "D"eluxe "N"inety "8". "DZ087632" is 2000 Deluxe.

12. And just to add to what rojo wrote, the serial number may also just be a simple N818283 or Z028366, for example. The "D" deluxe prefix isn't present on mine, although it's certainly a deluxe.

13. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Yeah, I kind of thought that, but wasn't 100%. Fender just loves to make life difficult sometimes.

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That bass has the John Suhr pups in it with Suhr designed electronics. Suhr worked in research and developement from 96-98 (I own a 98 dlx) In 99 Fender started to use it's own design in electronics and the "noiseless pups", I myself prefer the 1/4 slug pups than the "noiseless" pups of the late 90's and early 2000's. I think somewhere along the line the dlx basses pre- amp changed possibly with the introduction of the FMT and Victor Bailey basses. The newer "noiseless" pups seemed to be voiced different and the new samarium pup basses as far the best yet to come from Fender. As for the MIM dlx with single poles they are copies of the Suhr design with electronics from the Fender dlx bases Made after 1999. They now sport "noiseless" while the MIA basses sport SCN pups.

15. Pyrohr is right about the pickups,they look like the Suhrs.Lots of people prefer them to either of the newer pickups or preamps.Don't automatically think you have to change pickups,try them and compare them to your buddys Jazz with the Norstrands,you probably don't have to change a thing.I had an 97 American Jazz Deluxe 4 string with the same pickups and preamp and loved the tone.If it had been a 5 string I would still have it.I sold it to my guitar player in my band so it's still in the family.He loves it.

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I was going to chime in and say the same as the last two posters. Most people prefer the older 1 polepiece per string pups to the 2 per string. So if you decide you don't like them, you won't have any trouble selling or trading them. If you do a search here or over at the Fender discussion page you will find more info than you'll ever need to know about these (John Suhr) pickups.

17. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be pleased with the bass after all. Yeah Dougie, I'm a Fenderer again =)
    The G&L will most likely stay here. I love it too much to get rid of it. This bass bug has really bitten me.

18. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Duh??? Where is the fender discussion page? Am I blind AND
    stupid? Have I missed it or what?

19. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Fender Jazz V with a G&L L2500 good combo imo. :)