Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stox, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Just picked her up brand new last w/end. It's a 2004 MIA Jazz Deluxe V - Montego Black. I didnt like the stock Fender strings so Ive thrown on a set of DR Hi Beams and given it a set up, the neck is as straight, with just a smidgen of relief and she now plays beautifully. I also had to adjust the neck pickup height on the bass side as it was too low, it (the pickup had jammed under the pickguard and the adjustment screw didnt allow it to be raised). Funny how on a new bass straight out of the box you still have to tweak things, I'm surprised that Fender QC let it out like this to be honest, an easy fix though. Other than that she is a beaut. Love the active pre-amp, its so flexible. I've always been a bit anti Fender as I've had varying experiences quality wise over the years and stuck to more boutique brands. I must say that this bass is a different story, for the money it is excellent value, and I'm really very very pleased with it. Fender have got it right with this one and I would recommend it without question.

2. That's a hot J-Bass man, I hear what you're saying about the QC at Fender too. I went to get the pickups swapped and a setup on my new MIA Jazz the other day, and after the guy (really great luthier in my area) assessed it, he said he'd have to heat treat the neck, level the frets, and check all the shielding after swappin the pickups. It's gonna cost me 450 Australian bucks (around 350 USD) to get it awesome. I know this guys not rippin me off either, he's a really great guy. Very disappointed with Fender though.

3. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    Ive got the same bass in a four string version, had mine for over a year, hasnt been serviced but still sounds amazing. I find you can get any sound out of it, its particually usefull having an EQ on it. Its the best buy ive made, got no regrets, cant understand why everyone doesnt get fender jazz basses :)

4. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Sorry to hear that, bit of a downer as I know how much you guys get ripped off with prices on gear over in OZ. Same here in the UK. You hardly needed the extra expense I'm sure, can't you get some of the work done under warranty with Fender as its new? Hope its works out for you...

5. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    That is a hot looking bass. You've revived my GAS for that same bass. I was looking at the butterscotch blonde, but that black one looks beautiful. Do you by chance have a full length shot of it? Just to give my wallet a kick?

6. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Sweet bass! I had one just like it in trans red a few years ago, and it's definitely one that I regret selling.

Regarding Fender QC, the first NAMM show I went to was about 8 years ago, and I was like a kid in a candy store. I was majorly disappointed with the setup of the instruments in Fender's booth. You'd think that at a trade show where you're trying to sell a bunch of guitars it might be a good idea to bring your nicest stuff, right? Apparently not!

7. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Thanks guys, heres a full shot Toad - sorry to tempt you - go on you know you want it, treat yourself! :D

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Stox, that is a great looking bass. I hope it treats you right. It amazes me that Fender doesn't do better QC also. They don't seem to undertand that it is the little things about fit finish, proper adjustments, etc. that drive people crazy about their instruments. If Fender were more dilligent about these sorts of things, they could reclaim a fair amount of the market back from the various clones.

9. Very nice bass Stox! Slap a black pickguard on there! ;)

How's the B string?

10. That's definitely a looker. I have an MIM Fender Deluxe V that I enjoy too. I bought it used, but it hasn't needed any special attention (other than swapping the Bart pickups for the previous EMGs that didn't fit the routes) since I've had it. It has low relief without buzz, sounds good, and plays good. The B isn't too shabby either.

I once had a MIA Jazz Deluxe 4-string too. I had a few small problems with it. 1. I had to reglue the nut when it worked loose once. 2. One of the tuners was a bit difficult to turn, but it may have just needed a good cleaning. 3. I HATED those friggin' bridge saddles. I want a bridge that has one string slot so I don't have to measure the string spacing every time I restring. Other than that, it was a pretty nice bass.

11. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Thanks, funny you should mention the pickguard because I was thinking about changing it. Never liked it from the brochure shots but in the flesh it isnt as bad as the Montego Black body isnt a 'solid black', its got tiny gold metal flakes and can look a very dark brown under dark lighting. This sets off quite well against the gold pickguard. However, reckon you are right, I'm torn between a black one which I'll have to get custom made or get a Tort one from Fender, what does everybody reckon?

The B string is fine now I've got the pickup adjusted, I reckon Fender have dealt with this 'issue'. I reckon the string tree has a lot to do with this. Its clear and focused. Its not as good as my Metro but then thats a different story..

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How about some soundclips, then some of the Metro for us to compare :p

13. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I errr..... traded in the Metro for the Fender. :bag: Thing is, I have a custom NYC 24 -5 on order which comes in a couple of months time, this would mean I would have had two basses with the same configuration if I'd kept the Metro. One of my current gigs is with a rock covers band which really goes to the enth degreee to nail the originals sound and the Fender is just well.... more appropiate. I was also constantly getting asked to 'bring a Fender' for session work and I was having to borrow a friends bass when the occasion arose.
    The Sadowsky is much more modern/hi fi sounding to my reckoning so thought that when the new Sadowsky arrives I'll have both basses (pun intended) covered. I'll post some clips of the Fender and the Sadowsky when it arrives....

14. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks for the pic ... I think (checking my credit card balance). I kinda like the contrast with the gold pickguard, though black would look pretty rockin. I would also love to hear clips if you have the time and inclination to put them up.

15. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    I would definitely leave the pickguard on that came with the bass. It looks beautiful. Changing it to black (or even tort) would make the bass more 'normal'. I mean, I see a lot of black basses with black/tort pickguards, but I never saw one with this goldish pg.
    But hey, maybe try some out?
    I just bought a '62 (Official Fender) Tortoise pickguard and MY GOD thats expensive... Especially because I put it on my copy which costs only twice as much as the pickguard... :-s

16. turbod

turbod

Aug 30, 2002
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Hey Stox, how does the spacing on that Fender V compare to the Sadowsky 5-24? Is it just as comfy? Also, in a "rock" setting, how does that "B" string hold up among the lead guitar and rhythm guitars? Does the sound cut through on that Fender V as well as the Sadowsky?

17. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    The spacing on the bridge saddles is adjustable on the Fender which is really great. I've set the spacing to 18mm which is so similar to the Sadowsky that I really havent noticed the difference as far as my right hand is concerned. The spacing is a little narrower on my fretting hand but I dont feel I've had any significant adjustment to make. As far as the B cutting through it's good, different to the Sadowsky for sure but then again the Metro is twice the price of the Fender so it should be better! The Fender is easily as focused and clear as a very nice SR5 I used to have. Anyway I actually believe that a lot of so called 'problems' with B strings stem from the type of amp, settings ,cab & speaker configs different players use and opinions about B strings should be treated with caution, the only way to be really subjective is to try for yourself.

18. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Thanks, good point perhaps the gold will grow on me...

Yikes, gold is starting to grow on me even more!! ;)