Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Fender's What's up!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thornton Davis, Aug 26, 2000.

1. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    For those of you who are unaware, Fender recently introduced "The New American Series" instruments at the NAMM show in late July.
    I've been wondering what makes these Fender's different from any other American Fender products. This week I received my October copy of Vintage Guitar and came across two Fender ad's for "The New American Series" and they read "Better Sounding, Better Playing". What does this say about all of their previous American made instruments?
    Are they inferior to these new ones? What makes these new ones so good? I thought all Fender American instruments were the best made and sounding Fender's we could buy! (Can't you just hear Andy Rooney just about now).
    Now let me say right here and now that i'm not a Fender lover and this is NOT a flame. Yes, I respect Leo Fender for the development of the electric bass. And I do appreciate just how much Fender basses have contributed to the development of modern music over the past 49 years.
    And yes, I have owned many Fender Precision's and Jazz basses over the years, but they always come and go for me.
    I prefer other manufacturers basses.
    I'm not knocking Fender or putting them down in anyway.
    But tell me, wouldn't you be pissed off if you bought an American Series instrument in the past 6 months which you thought and were told was the ultimate instrument for you. A instrument that you saved your hard earned dollars to buy, just to find out that Fender are now promoting their "New American Series" as a better sounding and playing instrument than the one you just bought? I can't think of any other guitar/bass manufacturer that markets their new products like Fender.
    Buy the way, has anyone seen or played any of the new American series instruments? I'm not sure if they're in the stores yet.
    I'd be interested in everyone thoughts on this.
    Cheers

2. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i saw them on the site and was wondering the same thing
    it sucks though a bass manufacturer shouldn't try ripping off its customers profit yes but none of that crap

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Anyone who bought a bass based on someone saying it was the "ultimate" bass for them and actually believing it should... never mind.

People seem disappointed that Fender didn't make visible changes to their line. I haven't played any new ones yet but I don't have a problem with them saying they made improvements. Why would I?

Has any manufacturer ever said their current instruments were as good as it gets and they will never change them?:D

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Saw an article about new Fender P's, American Deluxe and
    Hot Rod. Deluxe seemed quite interesting since it's more
    modern shaped - well nothing much but upper horn and
    headstock are now longer. Also there is a new type of bridgepickup, looks like two jazzes combined, perhaps it was humbucker. But anyways, they liked the
    deluxe more, and that is what I'd like to try on too..
    P for a new millenia :)

5. "New and Improved" has been in advertising for so long that it really is a tired thing to debate it as a marketing technique.

To buy a new bass from any manufacturer because they say that it is the best thing, or sounds better than ever is to abdicate your responsibility to yourself and your sound and let the suits tell you what is best. Fender probably doesn't create their own marketing though I don't know this for sure. They are just using tried and true methods of enlisting new customers. Those that know Fender and love it for what it is worth will try the new basses and determine for themselves how valuable they are to what they do. I can certainly see, in this case, that the basses will sound different simply because of the different electronics. Whether this is better is still going to be determined by my hands and ears.

6. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    What Fender did was to basically give the Standard the neck styling of the American Deluxe Series, less the lightweight tuners, abalone dots & 2 extra frets. In short, they've added hand-rolled fingerboard edges and "deluxe nut and fret work", which is pretty much just some extra file work, I think -- the fret edges look cleaner than on the old Standards. The only signficant change is the rolled edges, and it does make the fingerboard more comfortable. I don't have a problem with Fender trying to improve it's product -- which they did. My problem with Fender in this regard is throwing hints about some great changes, and whole new *SERIES* of basses, and then seeing that that's all they did.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    "My problem with Fender in this regard is throwing hints about some great changes, and whole new *SERIES* of basses, and then seeing that that's all they did."

This was my beef with Fender about the changes. They made such a BIG deal over what most people cannot even notice. I recall people even getting upset, because they thought the and P would be so radically changed.
    If Fender really wants to make some improvements to their basses. How about some quieter PUs on the MIM Jazz...and maybe even a better bridge. Now THAT would be worth some media hype.....:)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There was a lot of discussion about this on the Fender board a few months ago and the point was that the "series" as a whole has had significant changes, but these were mostly in the guitars and *not* the basses. So the promotion was for the whole series and is apparently very much justified for the guitars.

So there was a feeling that although bass players might feel a bit cheated, Fender were justified in promoting the significant improvements to their guitars in this range.

These are still only equivalent to the standard series and the "Deluxe" range hasn't changed - so all the comments about the "ultimate" instrument are a bit wide of the mark. This still remains a Deluxe bass or more likely a model from teh "Custom Shop".

9. Gibson did the same thing with there Historic line.
    Back in 1994 I bought the 1959 Historic Les Paul. The store's salesman said "This is the acurate re-issue". He claimed "EVERYTHING" on this model was true to the original.
    3 years later, Gibson comes out with a huge promotion giving books , 2 cases, strap and book, saying again,
    "THIS IS THE ONE!!
    It seems like one or two changes to any product constitutes a new product line.
    Bottom line, I didn't do my homework.
    My Les paul is a great guitar, and I'm sure the old American Standard guitars and basses are as well.
    What we really need here is to have the Madison Avenue type ad executives become more aware of the thoughts/feelings of the customers that have supported these companies in the past.
    BTW,
    I did voice my dissapointment to Gibson via my Dealer and the internet,,,All it got me was more frustration.
    So much for customer satisfaction.
    It's been a while since I bought a Gibson.

10. One thing I noticed is that the new basses have graphite reinforced necks, but I'm not sure if my American P already has that or not (I bought it used) and another change is the new red color, I think that color looks really sweet.

11. I bought a new American Standard P in 1996 with a graphite reinforced neck so they have had it at least since then. I also remember it was a new feature at the time so '96 was probably the yeay it was introduced on American Standards

12. I really don't see what all the fuss is about here. In the end Fender is a business like all the others trying to make money. I believe that even if they put a new type of paint they'd try to hype it in some way. I'm not saying this out of hatred (I really enjoy Fender basses) but it all comes down to marketing in the end. For bassists the hype really doesn't really matter that much. We're just going to play the bass that appeals to us and not one that corporations try to push on us (and I think guitarists are the same as well).

13. Bruce Lindfield

As an antidote to the anti-Fender trend; the UK "Guitarist" magazine (incorporating Bassist :( )for October, reviewed the whole of the new series under the heading "Higher Standards".

There is a nice quote on the basses to sum up :

"Essentially the new line's specifications remain the same as the old range, though the new body construction and improved necks are undoubtedly significant improvements that more than warrant the almost laughably small price increase."

14. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    "Essentially the new line's specifications remain the same as the old range, though the new body construction and improved necks are undoubtedly significant improvements that more than warrant the almost laughably small price increase."

Now why didn't "Fender" just say that to begin with?...:)

15. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Boy, I really don't understand some of this...

Who, exactly, has been "ripped off"?

And as far as the "Big Deal" they made of this, outside of the FDP and a trickle here on TB, the only PUBLIC announcement of all of this has been their "New American Series" ads in the regular magazines...and those ads don't describe ANY changes...just a picture...

They tweaked the line, made some of the bigger changes in the Strat, changed the name, raised the price a smidge(which, in a few months, will probably fall back to the normal MIA prices), nothing more.

Who's getting "ripped off"? I don't see it...

(Oh, I must agree with noiseless pickups in the Jazz, but not at the expense of the Jazz tone...I'll deal with the hum to keep that tone...)

-GM

16. Bruce Lindfield

GM - there certainly hasn't been any hype in the UK and Guitarist magazine are very positive about the whole thing and about how good it is that Fender keep improving and listening to what their customers want.

I can't understand the negative feelings that always seem to come up about Fender as a corporation - now if it was about a toxic chemical manufacturer or some company that's trying to patent genes for their own profit I could understand it, but Fender seem to be a model company to me and their website is great - loads of free information etc.