New Fenders!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MJB, Jul 1, 2001.

1. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    The jazz basses come with a Figured Maple Top and no pickgurard. There is also some humbucker versions.

That are also some active MIM P Basses.
  4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    The azola basses look pretty cool.
  5. The new Fenders look like Sadowsky clones to me...:p
  6. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    They do don't they.

Fender's don't look like fender guitars without thier pickgaurds.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

In 5 years, Fenders will look like Soundgears and vice-versa.:D
  8. Does that mean that the Series IV Alembics will look like BC Riches?

9. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    I'm confused...

are these basses in the link real Fenders?

if so, are they supposed to be Fender's try at a modern bass?
  10. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    The first page is all fenders. I don't really like the new ones. The reissue p bass looks cool, but limited edition custom shop means it is gonna cost loads. I doubt they would even make a lefty one anyway.
  11. Fenders NEED a pickguard. Unless youre Jaco, if you play a Fender, you will play a Fender with a pickguard.

That aside, it looks like some of those basses might have potential.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Chicken or the egg?;)
  13. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Like the old ones...
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why tinker with success? I mean, Fender is still popular, and they've been doing the same for how many years? I think that a "classic" company like Fender should just stick to it's guns. It's sorta sad to see them "modernize"...course, if it brings in more money and more customers, it has to be the right way to go. :rolleyes:
  15. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Give them a chance. If they sound as good as they look,they should be pretty nice.

Remember, these are custom shop basses.

I like them. Fender needs to start rolling with the times. A classic remains a classic, but Fender needs to expand.
  16. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    These are not all custom shop basses. Captions have been added to the pics, one of them is even MIM! Full specs should be out at NAMM time. And I wouldn't be concerned about the traditional Fenders, I think they'll always be here.
  17. Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    (Donning my flameproof suit)

I don't see anything here even remotely new or improved. With all the hype I've been reading over the last several weeks I kinda expected some new technology or even a new LOOK but this is nothing more than a different road to the same destination for Fender.

Side note: Does a company have to attach an artist's name to an instrument to make it sellable? Doesn't Steve Bailey already have a signature bass? (Aria) Is this new Fender going to allow him to play things that his other signature bass would/could not?
  18. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Fender actually abandoned pickguards on their Japanese "Jazz Plus" series instruments during the Kubicki era. The 40th anniversary Precision, I recall, also had no pickguard. The current Lytes don't have any pickguards, either.

I was looking forward to seeing a 4- and 6-string Roscoe Beck and a 5-string Urge II. Oh well.
  19. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    P.S. The Victor Bailey Signature is giving me GAS.