Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Filter alert!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Maxon has re-released the fabled AF-9 auto-filter. Whether or not this thing is truly a Mutron *clone* like all the hype states I dunno....but it is Opto-coupler powered! Not sure about that hefty price tag...You can by a vintage one for about the same I think??

[​IMG]

"The AF9 Auto Filter takes the most desirable auto-wah and swept filter effects and offers them up in a compact, user-friendly package. Opto-coupler circuitry produces the shimmering, watery filtering of legendary vintage units. Threshold and Peak sliders control the degree of effect; while Range and Drive switches determine range and direction of the filter sweep. Three selectable filter types (Low Pass, Band Pass, and Hi Pass) and a frequency range of 100 Hz - 4 kHz allow the AF9 to function with virtually any instrument or input signal."

2. I was just about to post about that, it's actually a reissue of the older Ibanez Auto Filter when Ibanez had Maxon doing their effects... Which was a choice filter for the bass from what I hear.

3. ...and only $184 on sale from AMS :p

4. Is that a good price? You can buy a real mutron for only a little more...

5. "Opto-coupler powered!"

Does this mean that I could power this with a Boss TU-2?

If these things (I heard they were originally) capable of creating the range of the Mu-Tron I would soooooo dig having one. Especially if the above is true. Are they 9 volt?

6. Nope...means that it has an optical circuit that tracks the envelope; ultra smooth. Most EV filters don't come any where close to the smooth-ness of a Mutron III but I would guess with the right circuitry...??? This box has got to sound wicked.

7. That thing looks neat-o! If it's smaller than my III+ and it sounds better than my III+, then maybe it's worth looking into.
    Thanks a lot for turning me into a complete filter junky, guys... :rolleyes: :D

8. ...it all starts innocently enought with peer pressure, then next thing you know you're accepting sound samples from dealers... and then you're selling your baby for a fix. Do not pitty us we're already dead. :rolleyes: :D

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    It's true bypass which may or may not interest you.

10. Ok, so does anyone remember the difference between the AF201 and the AF9? There is one I know...one is supposedly better than the other.

[​IMG]

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I still have my old Ibanez that I bought 20 years ago around somewhere, it ran on two 9 volts... sounded good back then.....I'll have to go dig through my old toy box.....I can't even remember why I stopped using it:confused: Maybe because I was going broke on batteries or something;)