Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Filter Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Jan 14, 2005.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey there all of you filter funkheads. I just had to let you know in advance that there will be two great new filters coming out around NAMM time from Godlyke distributing. I don't work for Godlyke, but was inquiring about a Chunk Systems Agent 00 Funk when I found out that C.S. is coming out with a new version of the pedal, which will be available just after NAMM. Kevin at Godlyke was great in our correspondence and also sent me pictures of the new Agent 00 Funk Mark II pedal, and then he told me about a new pedal he helped design with Guyatone, the Ultron. Man talk about hard decisions.... I think the Ultron is gonna be way cool, but I think the new C.S. will be more user friendly for me. I will tell everyone that the new C.S. pedal is True Bypass, and supposedly has a good "default" setting with all the knobs at 12 O'Clock. From a forwarded email from Kevin:

The main change with the new Agent 00Funk Mark II is that it now has a logarithmic filter sweep instead of a linear one. This makes it sounds wetter, fatter and squelchier in my opinion. You also have to play less to get a nice funky tone.
    --Chunk Systems

There is also an "envelope connector". This is for use with the other new C.S. pedal, the "Brown Dog", but can also be used as a traditional effects loop with a standard "Y" Cable.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to download the picture into Talkbass, it needs resized to fit. If anyone is interested, email me, and I'll send you the pics.

The new Guyatone pedal also looks amazing..... See the attached picture. --Had to erase to put up pics of my new bass!!!

Pricing is not yet available. I work for Sam Ash in Charlotte, NC, and I cannot advertise for the store here, and do not intend to do so. I will say though, it would be really nice if some Talkbassers ordered the pedals through me, since I posted this info!!! I can't give the number on here, but if you get the number, call and ask for Dave, or email me, or call or email Kevin at Godlyke if you don't want me to help.

I don't know which one I'm gonna get, but I'm definitely getting one!!! :hyper:

PS--New Linc bass is getting wired this weekend!!! :smug:

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    These look pretty cool. I'd consder the Chunk. Here come DAVES pics.

[​IMG]

3. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I thought there were more TBers interested in Envelope Filters than 1 other person!!! :rollno:

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yo

i bought a EMMA DISCUMBOBULATOR

its ****in CA$h

5. I'll take the High/Jerky/Wide/Mayhem setting, please.

Actually, I'm interested in both of these...here's why: I currently own and flip/flop between the following:

Q-Tron
    Emma Discumbobulator
    EBS BassIQ
    Ibanez SB-7
    Digitech Bass Synth/Wah
    Dunlop 105Q Wah
    Digitech XP-100 Whammy/Wah

I'd like to narrow this down to 2 and only 2...I like the Wah pedal because of the control, but I don't like the 105Q's switchless design. Suggest a better Wah?

I really like the Q-tron's sound, but I don't like the bulk, the adaptor, the volume increase, and the fragility.
    I like the Emma, but it's almost too subtle.
    I like the IQ, but it's almost too smooth and requires a pretty high input signal.
    I like the SB-7, but it's a one-trick pony.
    I like the Synth/Wah, but only for the SubBass Octave effect.
    I hate the Whammy/Wah.

c'mon, man...sell me!

6. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    So no word on pricing ... the Guyatone looks as though it's a micro-controlled analog (?) pedal, but possibly it's effectiveness and flexibility will be unappreciated live. And what's the protrusion at the front of the Agent MkII? Is it used for adjustment of some parameter? It, and the resultant offset stompswitch, detracts a little from the appearance of the unit (IMHO).

Disclaimer: yes, I'm a commercial poster but my pedal biz is no longer active, and I think it's cool that another Australian pedal maker is getting some more exposure. :)

Mike

7. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think the protrusion is a battery compartment.

danman

8. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Ahhh... make sense! :D

Mike

I hate batteries.

9. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC

Right you are, it's the battery compartment.

10. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey there,
    Well for a real foot wah I would suggest the Morley Dual Bass Wah (I think it's the PBW2). It has no switch, except for a footswitch on the side which toggles on/off a different sounding funk setting. As for envelope filters I've tried, the MXR M-188 Bass Auto Q is what I currently am using, but I'm searching for another myself. I probably will go with the Agent 00 Funk Mark II. I want something that is true bypass, and very wet sounding with an envelope controlled effect, which the M-188 is not. The M-188 often causes my TC Chorus pedal to clip as well as my amp occasionally too. But it sounds really good, so no complaints there, but I use alot of filtered sounds so I think it would be nice to get another one.

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    aRGH.

My favorite and most un-favorite topic: envelope followers.

First of all (to be "definitive", in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way), the only good one there ever was, was the Seamoon "Funk Machine". They only made 'em for two years, and stopped making 'em around 1978 or so. But the circuit is public domain, and anyone can make one for ten bucks in off-the-shelf parts.

As for the others, I've tried 'em all. The latest one to bite the dust is the Lovetone Meatball. It's not bad for guitar, but frankly sucks the big weenie for bass. Completely unusable IMO. One of the major features that "most" envelope folowers are missing, is a simple passive tone control on the output. Most of those pedals generate way more treble than was ever there in the first place, so if you hook it up to a decent amp all of a sudden you'll have mondo high end without tweeters. One needs a good passive tone control to "take the edge off", and dial down the nasty treble to a manageable point. That was one of the good things about the Funk Machine, it had a built-in low-pass filter that was just perfect for the bass.

Anyway, I could rattle off a long list of envelope filters that I've tried for about a day, and then discarded because they couldn't stand up to my ten dollar Funk Machine. The BassIQ, the DiscumBobUlator, the Meatball, any number of "synth-wahs", they just don't do the trick with a bass. At least any of mine (dozen or so). The Funk Machine is the only one that does it for me. And my girlfriend too. It's that B-ow-OO-tsy thang baby. :D

12. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Are you sure about the high-end? Most envelope filters are low-pass filters, meaning it's the high-end that gets rolled off. I've sometimes used the band-pass setting on a Q-tron, but never the high-pass - for bass, it's just unusable (unless you blend in some clean signal, but even then).

I've tried the Seamoon Funk Machine (a clone), but the one-directional sweep and crude half-way rectification of the signal to drive the filter made it not particularly desirable (all IMHO, of course). Maybe there's some hippie mojo present in the originals that is required? :)

Mike

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    FWIW - i really liked my meatball when i had it.

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the ultron sounds interesting.
    I'm not too interested in the frostwave, there were comments by some previous reviewers who found it too fiddly for live use. This was from some confirmed filter addicts. I'm not sure what's different in the 'new' funk-a-duck beyond improved low end frequency response.

15. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Frostwave and Chunk Systems are different companies. :confused:

Mike

16. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, you're right. that's what I get for typing at 6:40 in the morning, blame the dogs for getting me up so early! Either way, I meant the funk a duck

17. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    Has anyone tested out an Ultron yet?

18. pharaohamps

pharaohamps Commercial User

May 30, 2006
    Garner, NC
    Owner, Disaster Area Designs / Alexander Pedals
    It depends on the filter design. Most of the better-regarded envelope filters I've had the opportunity to use and / or repair have been either overcoupled low-pass filters (a Crybaby circuit is a good example of this type of filter) or bandpass. Feeding some filtered signal back into the input of the filter is a good way to increase the "Q" of the filter, and when you shift Fc on a low-pass up into higher frequencies, the feedback / resonance causes an exaggerated treble response. Try it using a Moog-type low pass filter with the "Emphasis" control cranked. Lots of high end, sure.

RE: the Seamoon Funk Machine - it's a good pedal. The Bi-Filter Follower (also designed by Craig Anderton) is even better, with its two parallel filters tuned to different frequencies, and much less ripple on the envelope detector. Everyone has their own favorites WRT envelope filters, and mine is probably the Ibanez AF-9 / AFL / AF10.

Matt Farrow

19. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    My Mini Q Tron sure sounds wet and funky. I run a Punch factory after it to tame the volume spike and that makes the Mini Q just about perfect!

Crabby

20. I have a mini Q-tron in the mail!! Im hoping it should be here today.
    I went to my local store and had a go on one. I was quite impressed. I have used the original Q-tron and I think the mini is great value for money.

Im interested in checking out one of those agent funk pedals. I guess I should try and pick up a mark 1 though...It seems everyone always wants the one thats discontinued :)