1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new finish on a lakland 44-02 skyline deluxe 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carlo3874, Mar 7, 2008.

1. carlo3874

carlo3874

Jan 25, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Hello

I've been unable to unload my Lakland 44-02 so I'm thinking of trying a couple other things.

I am going to drop it off @ Stringmaster in Poway, CA and get a proper setup. I've tried doing it myself, but I'm never happy with the end results.

I am also considering getting a new finish. Is that too crazy? I starting to hate the cherry finish and figure a new finish could give it some old school mojo. I want to try Olympic White with a tort pickguard? How much would something cost and could someone recommend someone in San Diego to do the job?

Let me know what you guys or gals think!

carlo3874

goodnight!

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Sounds sexy. I've seen an olympic white 4402 with a birdseye maple fretboard and it looked amazing. The tort guard would only make it better.

3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    also - Jeannie has made a few "music man" type pickguards for the -02 series...they look fantastic on that bass.....consider it.

as for the cost - not sure.....BTW why coer up such beautiful wood?? people pay extra and really like the quilting...try to trade it for a non-deluxe or make sure that teh color is translucent....(just a thought!!)

4. carlo3874

carlo3874

Jan 25, 2007
    San Diego CA
    View attachment 84619

View attachment 84620

cherry finish right now, maybe a Olympic White finish with a tort pickguard later on......

I got this bass on a trade, I like the sound but I am growing to hate it's appearance. I think the bass is about 5 years old.

5. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    You're gonna have to upload those photos to a site like photobucket.com for us to be able to see them. We can't access your C drive. :)

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    If you really hate that cherry SB that much you can always send it to me.....:D

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    One of the strong selling points would be the figured top.

Have some patience and I'm sure you'll be able to get rid of it. Lakland's don't last around here long in the classifieds.

8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    yeah, it'll go soon enough.... but just to help you out, how much are you looking to get for it?

9. carlo3874

carlo3874

Jan 25, 2007
    San Diego CA
    $650 or next best offer. These suckers are $1399 on musiciansfriend.com

10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    You'd probably sell it in no time in the TB Classifieds, if you pony'd up for the supporting membership.;)