1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Fishman preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Norre, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
  2. kdrabbit

kdrabbit

Mar 18, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Only recently became available in the online stores. I haven't actually played one, but I did hear one at a gig recently and seems to work well. I hope to try one out soon. I wish Fishman would come out with an Aura image for the Spectrum DI, I would really like to have that.

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Keep an eye out - Fishman is coming out with a couple new preamps to replace the ProEQ Platinum and ProEQII/BII models; I should have info on our site pretty soon.

4. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    OK, thanks ;-)

kringle77 likes this.
  5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That's good to hear, I hope Fishman comes out with of their "Aura" line for DB, and actually slab basses too.

powerbass likes this.
  6. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    So they are canning/have canned the Pro Plat Bass EQ? That seems an odd move. Every bassist I know that has used one tends to keep using it. Hell, I've bought two of them myself.

7. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Well, they showed a mock-up at NAMM in January, they probably have working units in Nashville this weekend, so it's no secret:

They're re-releasing the Pro-EQ line with slicker looks (more like the Aura pedals), better features, and combined usage. There won't be a separate Bass and "non-bass" models, there will be one unit that is switchable for Bass or non-bass use (it will presumably alter the EQ frequency range, cutoff filter, etc.) It will also have the compressor, a built-in tuner, and some other cool new features.

Oh, and a higher price tag, of course.

I'll have details soon, I think they're expected in August.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  8. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    thanks for the info!

9. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Just an update: I just put the details of the two new preamps (Platinum Stage, Platinum Pro-EQ) up on the site. I'll let you find them yourself rather than link them, not trying to be commercial here - but I know there was specific interest in these new preamps from Fishman, so...

10. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    what is the main difference (soundwise) of this new device over the 'old' platinum pro bass? seems like most of the things are the same (besides the obvious tuner and some small other things).
    Is it worth to upgrade? One thing I like is the guitar/bass switch. But I also use my Platinum Pro Bass for my acoustic guitar. Not sure if the bass version is much different than the non-bass version?

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

They display them on their site.
    The graphic EQ on the old Platinum is nothing but great. I hope they did a good job with the knobs.

12. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    The new units are slick, but I don't see anything that makes me want to replace my current Pro EQ Platinum Bass.

- Steve

13. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Very nice looking with the faux wood finish. Wish there was a mic input.

14. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Yeah, there's no "across the board" reason to replace it, unless you want to have some of the new features (boost, separate gain level, notch filter, phase control, built-in tuner...) If you use it just for the preamp and the EQ, you're not really going to appreciate the updates all that much - or want to spend the extra dough. As for sound, I would expect that it will sound similar, but won't know until they arrive in the next few weeks.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  15. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Yes, I have the same. Don't really need the new features and soundwise I expect no big differences. Only thing I like is the guitar/bass option since I also use the Platinum Pro bass for acoustic guitar and sitar. And the tuner is also handy sometimes.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  16. I love my old platinum. Any one know where I can send it to be repaired?. Just won't turn on, batteries or fishman power plug . Ca b ' believe what prices are for used ones. This is is my 2nd one. First one stolen. Don't understand why they dissed other than more $$.

17. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    If I did get one of the new Fishman Platinum preamps, I would choose the Stage model over the Pro EQ. I like the feature set and the fact that it's smaller and lighter. I also use phantom power quite often to run my Pro EQ (either from my powered mixer or my Markacoustic combo) and only the Stage preamp offers this.

- Steve

18. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Have you tried contacting Fishman directly? They'll probably charge for the repair, but cheaper than getting a new one, I'd hope.

IMHO: They've been losing market share to other, newer, fancier products (Radial Engineering, Basswitch, LR Baggs, Vintage Revolution, etc.) and their product line for bass has been pretty stagnant for some time. Every manufacturer has to freshen up the line to stay competitive. I take Steve's point well; while the so-called "Platinum" took a big price hike, the replacement for the B-2/Pro EQ-2 takes the original Platinum's place quite nicely.

19. Thanks, Mark. I'll try contacting Fishman.

20. Thanks, Steve I'll check out the stage model. I like light!