1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Flanger and Phaser

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Racermech, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Racermech

Racermech

Apr 10, 2007
    So,

I had a Line 6 MM4 given to me a guitarist who was scaling down his rig. I ahve been playing through it a little bit, and I like it but am not thrilled with it.

I find that mainly I use a flanger and phaser out of it and the other functions are useless to me. The models of the flangers and phasers aren't present enough for me and seem to be pretty subtle.

I have been doing search after search to find some difinitive answers and can't seem to find any. I ahve read stuff about the Boss units, the Ibanez and Maxon units and can't find much of a concensus.

My first thoughts are to go with a Boss BF-3 and a Boss PH-3. I like a lot of depth, but not too subtle of an effect. To let everyone know, I went with a Analogman chorus with deep mod because after playing a Boss Ce-5 I found the Boss to be too subtle.

I really want to blast my bass and know that I turned whatever effect on is pumping through.

Any thoughts TB community?

2. Romain

Romain Effects Addict Club member #15

Maxon FL-9, definitely. Great analog pedal, even warmer than a Boss BF-2 (one of the most beloved stompbox of TBers, and by far the richest sounding flanger ever made).

The "classic but still great sounding" MXR Phase 90 (script version is better), but might have volume drop problems. An alternative may be the EHX Small Stone, but too many EHX in you chain may cause lots of hum issues.

3. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you see a Washburn A-F4, jump on it. Cheap as chips and warmer than the BF-2 also.

4. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    FoxRox Paradox TZF Flanger.

5. +1

I've got a FL-9 and it's great flanger.

Really?? I've heard it's not good with bass.

6. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I dunno, never tried it. It's the coolest sounding flanger I've ever heard though.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i believe the reissue ibanez fl-9 might be a little cheaper than the maxon.

also, for phaser, the boss ph-3 is pretty versatile. i don't like standard phase sounds (everything sounds like a guitar part for an incubus song!), but i love the wacky step-phase sounds.

8. Racermech

Racermech

Apr 10, 2007
    what's the difference between the Ibanez Fl-9 and the Maxon Fl-9? Well, besides the obvious $120 bucks.

9. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    True Bypass

10. Zeemno

Zeemno

Feb 15, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    and a compander chip inside. The only 9V flanger I have seen with this feature. Maxon Fl-9 owners, do you hear the difference? Is it worth it?

11. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I'm curious about this as well (comparison between the Maxon and Ibanez FL-9).

12. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Personally, I would not recommend a Boss Phaser. I've used all of the MXR Phasers, an EHX Small Stone, and a Homebrew Psilocybe and I prefer all of them over the two Boss Phasers I've had.

Also, I did just post some phaser soundclips here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359345

and here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358556

but I used a clean blend (50/50) for most of the samples to get a lighter effect. All of the phasers I've mentioned will give you a strong, as in not subtle, effect. The block logo MXR might be the most subtle but the Script Phase 90 is quite deep and pronounced on bass by itself. I like it with the clean blend, but if you're not planning on using a clean blend I would recommend checking out the MXR Phase 100, which is a great ten stage phaser for bass, and the Homebrew Electronics Psilocybe. Maybe someone can help me out and mention some others.

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :eyebrow:

Anyhow... I'd also recommend taking a look at the new Nano Small Stone - if I were to pick up another phaser again, it'd be that one!

I very much prefer it to the MXR Phase 90 and the previous Small Stone.

14. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    +1 on the Nano Small Stone!

15. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    The Nano Small Stone is on the darker side of the phasers I've used but I think it's very usable on bass and cool. I really liked it in combination with the Turbo Rat.

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Phaser (Do a search for these as I have posted clips on both)
    Subdecay Quasar
    Mojo Hand (Previously Tone Factor) Nebula

Flanger
    Aria FL-10 or FL-5 if you can find one it's the best.