Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Flat User. E string problems

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Big String, Jan 14, 2003.

1. I'm almost embarrassed to say I have never tried flats before. There I said it. Anyway I just got my new Lakland Bob Glaub P-Bass and let me tell you it's a work of art like all my Laklands. I chose to try the famous sound of a P bass with flats. I'm not unhappy and I'm not at all used to them yet. I do like the sound and feel of the G,D,and A string fine but the E string is almost dead in comparison to the others. It is more of a thud and doesn't ring as long expcept on an open note, Now I've been playing long enough to know that it could be lots of things or just my perception, but the E is not as loud and I find myself trying to finesse it to get a "equal" response of the others. It maybe a bad string or some other adjustment, but I doubt it, Lakland is very meticulous on there set ups.

So..... is my E string normal?
    Is just the Flat String World?:confused:

2. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    My E is not as resonant as the others. I think the E is most likely to die. Just wait until the whole set dies, and then it will sound great.

3. Makes sense.
    thank Ash

4. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    By the way, what strings are you using?