1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Flats Have No Sustain... Is This Common?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jonwb, Dec 25, 2006.

1. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    I picked up some new D'Addario 45-100 Chrome Flats on ebay for my '75 Precision. The tone is alright but when recording, I get hardly any sustain out of these. Is this common with flat strings? Should I have gotten something other than "chrome"? This bass usually has great sustain with nickel rounds :confused: . Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Rounds go "Daaaaaaaaaaaang", and flats go "dunt".

That's what they're supoosed to do. No sustain (compared to rounds). Maybe you might like a half-round better?

3. Mark Moss

Mark Moss

Feb 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    I have found that flats don't sustain like rounds do, which is not an issue for me, musically speaking.

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you like rounds but with a little less zing try Pressure wounds They are not ground Just wound with higher pressure they have a much smoother feel and Still ring/sustain like a Round wound. More finger and fret/fretboard friendly. The two I have userd are GHS Pressure wound and Rotosound 55's Pressure wounds. Might be worth a try The rotosounds thump a bit more.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Characteristic of all rounds, not just Chromes.

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The LaBella FL760 Flats I put on my SB2 have plenty of sustain. Not a much as rounds, but more than I expected. :confused:

7. i put flats on my new semi, and was a bit panicy at first as the E decays really fast, then i tried a few beatles lines and i started smiling again.

i forgot how much sustain you loose for the addition of the 'dunt' :ninja:

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Sustain is overrated.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Did you string the LaBella through the bridge or through the body? And which LaBella's did you use.

And to answer the question, flats have much less sustain. I had a set of Dean Markley flats that had zero sustain. Muting? Ferget about it! You just plucked the note and it died.

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The SB2 is strung through the bridge. The strings are FL760.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks. The 760FLs are my current favorite strings.

12. moobass

moobass

May 3, 2006
    I love Rotosound flats. They are one of the brightest sets of flats you can get and the sustain is wonderful (your P-Bass begs for rounds, these are the next best thing). To me, if you love the round wounds brightness (nickel) but want the feel and the longevity of a flat, the Rotosounds are the way to go. They are Monel steel and never rust. I've never had a set break ever. I clean them with denatured alcohol (soak them for about 24 hours and wipe them down) every month and it's like having a new set but forever...

I will add that when recording I sometimes (more often than not) use a round wound for a particular song to get "that sound". But for touring I would not even consider anything else. I never have to think about a string breaking on me up on stage (and that's a good thing). These sound sooo close to nickel round wounds that playing live you really can't tell the difference (maybe that's way Steve Harris uses them? I used to think he used round wounds).

BTW: A good bridge can go a long way in the sustain dept. too.