Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by motorteipidpa, Aug 22, 2003.

1. i just got a set of .55-.105 flatwound strings for my fretless.i always used roundwound and this is my first flatwound set. someone once told me that wenever you get new strings that are a different gauge you have to have the truss rod readjusted. is this true?im not sure what gauge the old strings are so im not putting the new strings on until i find out if i have to readjust the truss rod or not, or can i just slap em on now? ill wait for a reply before i do anything. i dont know how to readjust my truss rod so i would have to have someone do it for me before the strings can go on.
    thanks
    Tom

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Truss rod adjustments are sometimes needed when changing strings because the new strings may have a different tension than the old ones.

Yes, you can put the new strings on now. Put them on and tune them up. In a few days, if the action (height of strings above the neck) changes signifiantly, you'll want to adjust the truss rod to compensate for this.

If the new strings have a higher tension, the action will usually get higher. If the strings have a lower tension, the action will get lower, usually causing the strings to buzz or rattle on the frets.

jd

3. i just restrung it and in 5 minutes time of playing the action is alot higher then it was with the old strings,but it is fine for me to comfortably play the bass. if i keep it the way it is with the action higher,is anything going to happen to my bass?is the truss rod gonna break or something?
    thanks
    Tom

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It wont break. Just if it gets uncomfortably high, jusst turn the truss rod a little clockwise.

5. a little tiny piece of the nut just cracked off were the e string lays. i guess the tension is a little too high. e string still stays in place but a chunk of the nut just cracked off.

6. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    If you like the strings, I think you should visit
    a good repair shop and get a new nut and a set-up.
    Sounds like you need it. IMHO

7. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    With higher tension strings and a larger gauge, yes you must do a new setup. The nut has broken because the string was to large for the slot and it was not seated properly, yes the tension broke it, but only because it was not sitting in the slot properly, however nuts are fairly cheap. Now for the action being higher, what is actually happening is that the strings are bowing the neck,You need to have the truss rod adjusted for the proper amount of neck relief, and then you can reset your action height. The relationship between the relief of the neck and your action must be adjusted seperately and are not one in the same. You will also need to re-intonate your bass. Go to www.mrgearhead.com it is a fender site but the steps are pretty much the same for all basses. READ the setup section several times and learn how to do a setup. You will be much happier when you set up your bass the way you want and can tweak it to your personel preference. Have fun!!