Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Flecktones Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jul 27, 2000.

1. I just picked up the new Flecktones album. I haven't had the time to give it one attentive listen though. But from what I hear, (through the noise that was going on in my house), some of the songs are almost "pop." I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but it seems like the solos don't really have space to breathe. Well, I'll hold my opinions back, because surely it deserves a better listen for me to even comment on it. I just wanted to see what others had to say about it. Peace [​IMG]

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    i agree! on their last album i noticed that they seem to be moving in a "smoother" direction, and that trend continues on the new release. victor is still playing stuff
    that blows my mind, but they seem to be looking to fit the dreaded "wave" format.
    oh well! aloha,jerry

------------------
    aloha, jerry

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...well, the 1st tune("intro")blew my mind!
    I'm listening to it now; really, I have the feeling that I've heard it before. I wouldn't mind hearing Coffin explode a little more; has anybody heard his solo album?

"Hoe Down" was pretty cool in that they meshed Celtic, Country, R&B, & Rock into a tune. "Earth Jam" was good(Go Vic, go!).
    A couple things leaned toward "happy Jazz"(Jerry's words) [​IMG]
    I'm wondering how much of this album was actually tracked live...I received this + Bill Stewart's 1st solo album in the mail yesterday from Tower; I dunno, I'm more into the Stewart disc(w/ Dave Holland).

Back to the 'Tones; again, really good playing...but? And I have no clue where else these guys can take it, either(?).

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Anybody pick up the 'Tones' brand new Live At The Quick? The cover artwork evokes memories of their 1st three albums.
    I just found out about this as I stumbled into the store yesterday. The couple tunes I've heard(thus far) are pretty decent(not 'happy Jazz', per se).
    Paul McCandless & Jeff Coffin are supporting the band on horns.
    BTW, there also a DVD(about 2 hours worth)of this concert(s).

5. I saw the Flecktones at Cornell a year ago tonight, IIRC. I really disliked the direction they were taking--and the jazz snob in me was a bit peeved that 90% of the audience was covered in Abercrombie & Fitch. Now, I realize that I'm at an Ivy League school (albeit the most hippie of them, by far), but there are certain compromises that have to be made to get the fratrat/sorostitute market, and when I heard the screams for Coffin's Sanborn-esque solos, I knew something was fishy.

Certainly, Vic puts on an unbelievable show, and I felt tempted to smash my fingers in the door of my car in frustration after the set. Everything else, though...ugh.

The recent Flecktones records are kinda like what Greg Kot (fabulous Chicago Tribune rock critic) said about the Dave Matthews Band: "great music by which to fold laundry while high."

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sigh...
    Maybe it's 'cause I've seen the Flecktones & DMB early on(they both have ties to my neck of the woods)...see, I don't care if the A&F crowd like them(probably because some issue of GQ/Playboy said these are 'hip' bands to be into).
    I don't care what some Rock critic sez, either.
    Then again, I'm probably twice your age.
    FWIW, I was a Jazz-Nazi/snob back in my college daze('76-'80). Honestly, I missed out on a lot of stuff(like Rush, for example).

IMO, & from I've heard thus far, this new LIVE one by The Flecktones harkens back to the time pre-Left Of Cool/Outbound.
    Granted, The Flecktones & DMB aren't Coltrane, Anthony Braxton, Cecil Taylor, William Parker/Matthew Shipp, Charles Gayle, etc.
    That's "OK" by me(for what that's worth). ;)

7. I was pretty much the kind of guy who would automatically pick up a Flecktones album. That is, until circa-Outbound.

I discovered Vic and the Flecktones back in '94 with Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest . I saw them play as a trio and it was my favorite show at the time. They jammed for three hours straight and I mean Jammed! A lot of really loose, open imrovisation and interplay going on. It was the first time I had seen people jamming like that.

Fast forward to 1999. I went to see them as a "quartet", expecting the same kind of show as '94. Their whole show only lasted 45 minutes! And just the tunes and the way they played them - it was clear that their direction had changed. I miss the days when they really just played their a$$es off. When I go to see a show, I really enjoy seeing musicians really sweating and putting 110% into it. I know I'm asking for a lot, but hey, that's what I'm into. Y'all know what I mean.

Incidentally, how is the new album though? If it really has the old vibe like JimK said - that spontaneous and outrageous, yet un-contrived groove - I might check it out. How does it compare to their last "Live" album?

8. Steve Cat

Steve Cat

Mar 19, 2001
    That's the problem with CD descriptions such as New or Last. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would pan "Live at the Quick". I saw it on direct tv and it had amazing jams. I even digitally recorded it (had to split it into left and right to save it to cd) now I can't cut it into songs because the single file is to large. I guess I don't have enough memory to edit it. Anyway I'm going out at noon to buy it. Highly recommended.