New for Mxpx & punk Rock Fan.... Man Mike Herrera StingRay Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arson-o, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Pickup wired directly to jack (like his original). So the Dart model is really much more versatile.

2. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    But it has three knobs!

It's cool but 2500 for a bass with a pickup wired straight to the jack? What are standard stingrays going for these days?

Waltsdog and FugaziBomb like this.
  3. Around $400 less for a StingRay Special I think. I guess they're charging a premium for the fact that it's an artist model with special colour and pickguard, because you actually get less than a stock StingRay. If this (or the Joe Dart style) is what I really wanted, I'd just buy a much cheaper SBMM and then mod it. But these artist models are still pretty neat for people who really like the artists and can afford to pay the premium price.

4. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    It is a cool looking bass and for the fans it's awesome. Color me sticker shocked!

FenderOli likes this.
  5. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Pretty! Expensive!

BazzaBass, DJ Bebop and mikewalker like this.
  6. If my ticket wins the $70 million jackpot in the Lotto Max draw tonight then I'm going to be buying a couple of the basses in The Vault... but more than likely, I'll just keep dreaming about it :roflmao:

Murch and Arson-o like this.
  7. Good for him, they seem like decent guys, big personal achievement. It's not a bass for me, I love the colour, but so much the pickguard, and I'd at least rather have an active/passive switch to go straight to jack as an option for that price.

I was wondering who'd buy this, but I suppose the people who grew up listening to MxPx (not a band I love but I'm of a similar era) are all grown up & have the disposable income now. Hmm.

8. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    $2,500??? :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

PWRL and dalkowski like this.
  9. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    You can see him playing a special (not his sig) here:

javi_bassist and SirMjac28 like this.
  10. Davey3

Davey3

Nov 6, 2018
    MxPx was one of my first favorite bands. It looks great! but probably not for me at that price range. If it was a SBMM, then I'd probably be all over it

DJ Bebop and seedokebass like this.
  11. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Across the IDL right now, it's April 1. Just sayin'.

12. I can dig it. Not a hard thing to DIY, but how many artists out there actually have fairly boring signature instruments?

spaz21387 and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. And it has a plastic cover for the battery! What a nice way to signal the cost cutting measures of an instrument that EB wants to charge $2500 for. Yet another reason why I've stayed away from Music Man ever since Ernie Ball took over.

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Fixed it for you ;)

I love MxPx, Mike was one of my biggest inspirations growing up. He's the biggest reason I have 2 Stingrays.

I wouldn't pay $2500 for this though.

Arson-o and Volker Kirstein like this.
  15. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    To me, if it’s legit just wired straight to jack but all the pots and preamp are still there. It’s trivial to wire it back to a normal 2band. You could get an alternate pickguard, too and get it in an awesome color.

But mainly, I agree that it may be an April Fools joke.

16. Oh goody, paying more for less :thumbsup:
    giphy.gif

uwrossl and seedokebass like this.
  17. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Dumb question, is it passive, or is the battery still in play? What's the point of a passive Sting Ray?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  18. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
  19. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    This one is interesting in that it still uses the old body and hardware. The dummy knobs and battery box are a nice touch. Gives it that "authentic" look. MxPx under the Tooth & Nail label was also my first exposure to Punk.

It would be fun to count how many people make snide comments over the knobs and battery box but then defend their relics.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021