New forum features vex this cyber-dummy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Can anyone explain what some of the new features do and how to get them to work? The ones I don't get so far are the "Private Message System" (what is it, and how is that different from/better than email?), and what is this "buddy list" thing? I pressed "buddy list" on a post a few minutes ago to see what was up, and I got a message saying that rablack has just been added to my buddy list. Wow, that was helpful. What does that mean? Does that mean that I have to be buddies with rablack now? But he's so mean, always being so sarcastic with all the BG guys, and writing weird posts about ficticious rosin concoctions.....what if I decide I don't like rablack any more? Can I change my mind?
  2. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Aw shucks Sherlock, I'll be your accidental buddy any time. I'm not always sarcastic with the BG guys only about 75% of the time - and only when they demonstrate a need fer a whuppin'.
  3. Speaking of Buddy, Ed, Have you ever heard the infamous Buddy Rich Bus Tapes? Apparently Buddy was not the easiest guy to get along with on tour, and one of the musicians recorded his tirades on the tour Bus. It's a scream to listen to...Ex.-"Flutes! Your Breakin' my heart! If you get any closer to the Mic you'll electrocute yourselves! A flute has no sound,why do you bother?"
    And of course the classic, " I can replace this band with one F---in' phone call! If I hear one friggin' clam tonight, you're all fired!! I'm
    f----in' Buddy Rich, Goddamit!!"
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    man, that joke's so old, it's dead. But I still like hearing it..

geez, I wuz jus kiddin. I like sarcasm as much as the next guy...maybe even more. Hell, personally, I like to be sarcastic with the BG guys about 78% of the time, which I suppose makes me technically meaner than you.

think we could get Paul to put in a Buddy Rich feature on the forum? You know, you click the "buddy" icon and an MP3 of Buddy cusses you out and fires you & all your friends? Now THAT would be cool.
  5. I'm adding Buddy Hackett and Buddy Ebsen to my list.
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Good idea. I'll also add most of the shoes Mom bought me when I was a kid. [WARNING - if you didn't grow up in the South, that last remark might seem completely incomprehensible. If this is the case, apologies and a round of beer are on me...]

You know what else is neat about the "buddy" feature - you can add yourself. I just clicked on one of my own posts just to see what would happen and was informed that I have been added to my own "buddy" list . Gee, I LIKE myself, this forum ROCKS!
  7. Sorry Chris--that one parted my hair like a glider. Shoot, and I pride myself on the fact that I grew up in an area of N. Wis. settled by Kentucks (that's what they refer to themselves as--hopefully they don't consider it derogatory in KY).

One of the best weekend trips I ever took was to Mammoth Cave with a friend. Power went out and they gave everyone lanterns just like the old days. Guide was a riot--said he hated questions like "how much of the cave is undiscovered" and "how much of the cave is underground."
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    OK, the beer's on me. It kinda spoils it to have to explain it, BUT....little kids are mean, we all know that, right? Well, a favorite insult down here in Kentucky when I was growing up was to refer to cheap (i.e. - not name brand) shoes worn by other kids whose parents didn't wanna blow the bread on Nikes or whatever as Buddies . About the worst thing that could happen to a third grader back in the day was to be called out at school by a buncha rich kids for wearing Buddies. The only thing worse was to have pants that were too short, cause those were called "Highwaters". If you were wearing "Highwaters", a buncha mean kids could then follow you around for the rest of the day asking, "WHERE'S THE FLOOD? WHERE'S THE FLOOD?". And if you were caught wearing Highwaters and a pair 'o Buddies at the same time, well..... the only cure for THAT was instant death. And the quicker the better...
  9. Geez--I know what you mean. When I was a senior someone said "You'll look back on your school days as the the best days of your life" and I'm thinkin', Oh man! Why don't I just shoot myself now!
    About the beer--I'm thinkin' we give it to Don, ummm...I mean Ed--lots of beer, and then give him a pen and have him sign away all those basses...
    I'm afraid that if I try to add myself to my buddy list, I'll be rejected. Along the same lines, I considered joining the Optimist's Club, but didn't think they'd let me in...
  10. Around here (Philly area), it was Bobo's and Floods.