1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New forum "guideline" or Rule

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Marlat, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Okay, maybe this just bugs me and no one else, but it seems that more and more people are just getting too lazy with thier postings (and in particular new threads) and they just post a thread title and a link to an article or a youtube video (even worse IMO) without any real explanation or commentary etc. Part of a good discussion is starting off the discussion. One of the most annoying things is that you don't know what it is that you are clicking on when you click on the link (whether its SFW or not, whether its something you might be interested in etc etc).

I suggest that it be made a forum guideline that whenever a link is posted for the purpose of starting a thread, at least some effort is made to describe what the link is actually going to (ie check out this acticle I read on XYZ, or check out this video of ABC) etc. That way its easier for all users to know what they are going to get linked to. Lets try and stop lazy posting habits (and thread starting in particular).

2. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    no u

3. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Seconded, especially since youtube links give no clue at all what the content may be. (Hence the Rickroll phenomena)

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    While I agree with the sentiment, the problem is lazy and thoughtless people--who do not bother to follow the guidelines or use net courtesy or common sense anyway.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The answer to that is simple, make it a guideline / rule. You do it more than a couple of times and you get an infraction. People learn pretty quickly when they get infraction points.

6. I agree. Although instead of a rule banning it, I'd much prefer a "points awarded" system for the posters who manage to make the OP with the link look the dumbest.

Mike